NBA Midseason recap

Looking at the first half of the NBA season
Fair use from Amazon Prime Video

The NBA is at the midway point of its 78th season, and has been more exciting than any other season. We have seen unreal scoring, with records being set every week. There have been many surprises that nobody saw coming from surprising players, teams and storylines.

The biggest surprise so far this season has to be the Oklahoma City Thunder and Minnesota Timberwolves. Last season they were both near the bottom of the Western conference, winning 51% of their games. This season, both teams have won over 67% of their games. Much of the reason for both teams’ success is due to their young guards; Shai Gilgeous Alexander for the Thunder and Anthony Edwards for Minnesota. Alexander is currently an MVP favorite at just 25 years old. Both teams have had excellent seasons and are primed for deep playoff runs.

Another large surprise this year has been the Orlando Magic. One of the league’s youngest teams led by second year Paolo Banchero has been playing well all year sitting in the midst of the playoff picture. They have been led by their elite defense, and while this might not be their year to make a championship push, they have massive potential.

One player that has been incredible is the Knicks’ Jalen Brunson. He was in Luka Doncic’s shadow for years in Dallas and these last two years has had the chance to carry his own team and has been incredible. He is averaging 27 points per game and seven assists per game both high marks. Many of his teammates have struggled with health, but Brunson has more than picked up the slack in their absence. He will look to continue carrying the Knicks in the last 30 games of the season.

Another surprise this year has been 76ers Joel Embiid who scored 70 points in a game and has been on an absolute tear this season. He was by far the MVP frontrunner, but he suffered a leg injury that will keep him out multiple months. This will make him ineligible for awards and put the 76ers in a tough spot to make a playoff push. The Lakers and Warriors have shocked many fans as both teams are barely winning half their games even at full health. This is very concerning for two teams that have championship expectations, especially after neither team made any moves at the trade deadline on Feb 8.

This NBA season has been remarkable and is sure to have many more twists and turns as we near the playoffs. Will the Thunder and Timberwolves continue to surprise? Will The Magic make an improbable championship run? Will Jalen Bruson win the MVP? Time will tell.