Underdogs on home soil

USA scheduled to co-host the 2026 World Cup
Illustration by Rowan Jansen

The FIFA (Fédération internationale de football association or International Association Football Federation) World Cup is the single largest sporting event in the world. In the 2022 World Cup alone there were almost 1.5 billion viewers worldwide. This sensation spreads around every single country in the world, bringing passion and drive to every single community. Not only is soccer the most popular sport in the world, but it hosts the largest and most beautiful events in history. Additionally, these events present an incredible expression and mix of different cultures.

With the 2026 World Cup, FIFA is bringing us a new approach to the world stage. The World Cup will be hosted by multiple countries, with games taking place in Mexico, Canada and most notably the United States. This miraculous opportunity will grant Americans the opportunity to participate and live through the beautiful game.

In the summer of 2026, the event will take place from the beginning of June to the middle of July. Like never before, 48 teams are to participate, bringing even more novelty to the incredible event. Even more thrilling is the participation of the US on home soil in a World Cup for the first time since 1994. The US will be hosting the most games of the three host countries, with games taking place in 11 different American cities.

The games nearest to Park will be occurring in Kansas City, Missouri. Six games will take place at The Arrowhead Stadium, with the first occurring June 16, presenting a great opportunity for Park students to attend. Not only will group stage games be played in proximity of Minneapolis, but there will also be thrilling games from the round of 32 to attend in Kansas City.

The World Cup final in 2026 will take place in New York, at the MetLife Stadium. With flights to New York not nearly as expensive as a flight across the world, or even the ability to drive across the country, new doors are opened up to Minnesotan residents. The proximity to this incredible once in a lifetime spectacle is an opportunity that Minnesotans have the chance to experience, so they shouldn’t turn it down.

Additionally, the US squad for the national team is looking stronger than ever. With new players participating in huge European clubs, Team USA has a powerhouse team looking to surprise the world. Christian Pulisic, otherwise known as Captain America, will lead the way with other huge performers like Tyler Adams and Weston Mckennie building a rock solid squad. With a strong performance in the 2022 Qatar World Cup, all signs point to success in 2026.

As an avid soccer player and passionate fan, the 2026 World Cup being held in the United States means the world to me. Because of the proximity of the host states to Minnesota, I will have the opportunity to attend a game. Previous boundaries were location, cost, travel and the fact that these games took place in countries on the other side of the globe. Growing up and watching these games meant everything to me, even whilst not physically being at these games. There is nothing like the World Cup, and no other event can outshine it. On top of everything, supporting my nation (Argentina) in the World Cup brought deeper emotions seeping into the already incredible event.

The opportunity to be physically present in a game is one that comes once in a lifetime. Since traveling has become an incredibly smaller obstacle, I will be spectating these games with more passion than ever before. The physical environment in these stadiums is something that can’t be compared to anything else. Roars of passion, music, chants, colors and paint all bring the most incredible expression of culture and sensation to a stadium. The best sport in the world is coming to the best country in the world.