Girls’ tennis sweeps Richfield 7-0

Team prepares for Sections, holds fundraiser

Junior+Violet+Huber+serves+the+ball+during+a+tennis+match+against+Richfield%2C+Sept.+28.+
Junior Violet Huber serves the ball during a tennis match against Richfield, Sept. 28.

Carissa Prestholdt

Carissa Prestholdt

Eli Curran-Moore

Finishing under some slight rain, the team didn’t play their best despite finishing with a 7-0 win according to senior captain Maddie Lund.

“This match we didn’t play our best, I don’t know if it was just because of the weather, or because we’re feeling a bit under today,” Lund said. “We still won the majority of our games but I think in general it was just kind of a step back match, we made a lot of errors, a lot of double faults, it was just not the best match for our team I would say.”

Head coach David Breitenbucher said the team’s current record will not include a match against Hopkins.

“This is our last match today before sections, we’ll finish the season 10 wins and 2 losses. Hopkins is not being rescheduled, I’m kind of bummed about that I was really hoping to play them, but they had a situation where they had to get a conference match in. We could face them in sections.”

Breitenbucher the team is looking to be increasingly competitive in section play.

“As we go to sections we’re going to be seated relatively high because of our record this year. We’re looking to play Benilde again in a rematch.” Breitenbucher said. “Our doubles just have to be aggressive. Our singles player’s,I like how their playing, but once you get to that next level we just have to keep being aggressive with our doubles so we’ve really been working on that.”

Lund said the team also held a fundraiser to support the team and in light of a recent tragedy.

“This past weekend we did a tennis tournament for doubles teams, anyone who wanted to play on the team can bring a family member or a friend, guest or anyone, and play for fun.”

According to Breitenbucher, the fundraiser was a huge success.

“I believe we raised a total of about $450, and we are going to give half of (the money raised) to Shawn Matthews and her family because of Officer Matthews and the other half is going to go towards expenses for our banquet,” Breitenbucher said. “It was great, we had parents coming and volunteering and helping and I think everybody had a great time.”

Breitenbucher said he is pleased with the team’s performance this season and hopes to stay on track.

“We’ve got to take care of business first, the first round, the quarterfinals is going to be somebody not as good.We’ve just got to keep focused and we should be good. 10-2 is a pretty dang good season so I’m really happy with what we’ve done this year,” Breitenbucher said.”

The first Section match will take place at 3:45 on Oct. 4 at Park.