Girls’ swimming prepares for Sections

Team works on perfecting fundamentals

Girls’ swimming prepares for Sections

Sophomore Hattie Kugler swims Butterfly during practice. The team's Sections meet is at 5 p.m. Nov. 9 at the Art Downey Aquatic Center.

Hayley Westwood

Hayley Westwood

Hayley Westwood

Sophie Yarosh and Maddie Lund

As junior Sarah Anderson prepares for Sections, she said the team will work on crazy things, such as swimming with clothes on.

“Normally, for MEA (break) we do sweatsuit practices, which is swimming with a sweatshirt and sweatpants and diving in (and) getting out,” Anderson said.

Anderson said in order for her to be successful at Sections, she must perfect specific fundamentals.

“I need to work on small technical things, like my turns and my starts and my breakouts,” Anderson said.

According to coach Joe Yaeger, swimmers will prepare for Sections by tapering.

“Within the next week we’ll peak (the swimmers), meaning that they’ll swim as many yards as they possibly can in a practice. Then we’ll gradually do an eight day taper to the first day of Sections,” Yaeger said.  “So the girls will work their way down, this peak week they should be hitting around 6500 yards, and then they’ll work themselves all the way down to about 2000-2500 yards the day before.”

Senior captain Nicole Sanford said she looks forward to swimming with varsity during Sections for the first time.

“I have been swimming JV for the past three years, so I am a little nervous for going to varsity (Sections) this year,” Sanford said. “I’m working hard in practice to prepare, and I hope it will pay off in the end.”

Yaeger said many of the swimmers are performing at their best right now and with hard work they will succeed at Sections.

“A lot of girls are at great places right now in the season, and I’m just hoping that with a great taper and effort from them, I’m excited to see where we end up at the end of the year,” Yaeger said.

Sanford said she anticipates a successful outcome at the Sections meet.

“The team is putting in lots of work right now to be as prepared for Sections as they can, so I am excited to see how we do,” Sanford said.

The team’s Section meet takes place at 5 p.m. Nov. 9 at the Art Downey Aquatic Center at South View Middle School.

Sophie Yarosh, Copy Editor

Hi everybody my name is Sophie Yarosh! My best and only friend is my grandma, oh and she’s also my lover. You can find me in the bathroom because I’m...

Maddie Lund, Features Editor

Hey! My name is Maddie Lund and I am one of the features editors for the Echo! I am a senior this year. You can almost always find me at Spyhouse Coffee...