Swimmers qualify for State

Hattie Kugler, relay team anticipates meet

Swimmers qualify for State

Sophomore Hattie Kugler helps a teammate count laps during the 500 freestyle Sept. 7. She qualified for the State meet in the 100 yard breaststroke.

Caroline Green

Caroline Green

Caroline Green

Maddie Lund and Sophie Yarosh

When junior Lexi Lee touched the wall finishing the 200 yard medley relay and saw her teammates screaming and jumping on the swim deck, she immediately knew the relay qualified for State.

“One thing that was super exciting was we got the exact State cut, and we got to 1:51.26,” Lee said. “That was crazy how we got close to barely getting it, and the whole race was exciting.”

According to coach Joe Yaeger, Lee, junior Claudia Stone and sophomores Franny Bevel and Hattie Kugler qualified for the 200 medley relay.

Yaeger also said after placing first in the preliminaries, Kugler took second place in the 100 breastroke, qualifying for State.

“I’m very proud of (Kugler) and what she did. It’s very hard to be ranked first after day one and then go in there and try to hold it, but she swam fantastically and dropped more time again on Saturday and had an outstanding race,” Yaeger said. “(In) her last 25 (yards) she really closed the gap and made (her opponents) work for it.”

Yaeger said he hopes to see time improvement for all of the swimmers.

“I would love to see this medley relay possibly go after the school record, drop a little bit more time, make day two, and then again with Hattie, the same,” Yaeger said.

Kugler said the team was full of positivity and support for the swimmers who were participating at Sections.

“There was a lot of cheering and our team really came together on Saturday,” Kugler said. “There (were) a lot of people on the podium, which made it more fun.”

Lee said she looks forward to experiencing the spirit of those competing at the State level.

“I am looking forward to the atmosphere (at State) because it is really exciting and really competitive atmosphere,” Lee said.

The State meet will be at 6 p.m. Nov. 15 and 16 at the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center.

Maddie Lund, Features Editor

Hey! My name is Maddie Lund and I am one of the features editors for the Echo! I am a senior this year. You can almost always find me at Spyhouse Coffee...

Sophie Yarosh, Copy Editor

Hi everybody my name is Sophie Yarosh! My best and only friend is my grandma, oh and she’s also my lover. You can find me in the bathroom because I’m...

Caroline Green, Photo Editor

Hi! My name is Caroline Green and I am one of the photo editors! I spend most of my time skiing but when I’m not doing that I like to drive my race car...