Three seniors unite to create superfans

Game times, dress codes communicated through social media

Three seniors unite to create superfans

Park's student section waits for the second half of the homecoming game against Richfield, Sept. 21. All students are matching in Park pride thanks to the super fan account notifying everyone of the dress code

Sadie Yarosh

Sadie Yarosh

Sadie Yarosh

Jenna Cook

Senior Aidan Henry said he enjoys running Park pride social media accounts intended to get students to attend school sporting events.

“There’s a lot of glory involved. It’s fun, I enjoy it. I like making jokes. I’ll make videos sometimes for sports to get people to come,” Henry said.

According to Henry, seniors Milkaso Dedefo and Rachel Salzer co-administer the accounts with him. Dedefo said he appreciates the breadth of impact the Twitter account has had so far.

“(I like) that more people are following the account. Other student sections from different schools are following us too,” Dedefo said.

Varsity girls’ soccer captain, senior Ellie Kent said although there are a few fundamental flaws in the system the admins have put together, she supports the overall idea.

“I think that it’s kind of controversial only because there’s limited people that look at the Twitter account,” Kent said. “I think they’re trying to accomplish unity between the student body and trying to get everyone involved in school spirit and school culture.”

Henry said having multiple people running the accounts allows them to divide and conquer when it comes to information about different sports.

“I’ve been to every soccer game, Rachel goes to a lot of the volleyball games and Milkaso goes to whatever,” Henry said. “Ultimate frisbee is playing in the fall league and since I’m on the team I’ll make an announcement.”

According to Dedefo, he and the other admins want as many people to follow the accounts as possible to help spread information.

“It’s for students to know what the dress codes are for and to get more people to come to the games,” Dedefo said.

Henry said he and the other admins try to keep the updates on the Snapchat and Twitter accounts as entertaining as possible.

“If someone scores, we’ll say that they scored and then make a joke about it, like something ridiculous that they didn’t do, like they did a backflip and then ran all the way to the parking lot,” Henry said.

According to Kent, dynamics surrounding sports and sport dress codes has changed as she advances through high school.

“I feel like the older you get, you’re more involved in school activities. I think that still relates back to how involved you are in attending, but also in dressing up and what part of the student section you get to sit in,” Kent said.

Henry said he thinks the accounts help unify not only the senior class, but any student who has interest in attending a sporting event.

“I just think it works because it’s an easy way to get people to know where games are and it’s kind of a fun way to include everyone with dress codes and stuff, no matter what grade or their interests,” Henry said. “Not everyone wants to go to a football game, but if they see that you get to dress up in a crazy outfit maybe it’ll be fun.”

Jenna Cook, Copy Editor

Hi sisters! My name is Jenna and I am a senior as well as one of the Echo’s lovely copy editors this year. My interests include Netflix, trashy YA novels...