Freshman qualifies for State

Cross country runner Josie Mosby advances for second consecutive time

Freshman Josie Mosby surges towards the finish at the conference meet. Mosby was the sole Park qualifier for State. Other season highlights include winning both the Maroon Griak and Conference title. They placed sixth at Sections.

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

Talia Lissauer and Tamar Gewirtz

Senior Cecelia Schmelzle is very proud of the team and Mosby for doing so well in this Conference.

“We had Josie qualify for state so that’s always exciting,” Schmelzle said. “Everyone else had a great race, and we have a really good Conference.”

According to coach Chris Nordstrom, Mosby beat her personal best at Sections Oct. 24 with a time of 18:15.07.

“Josie ran almost a perfect race. It’s hard to put in words what I got to watch while she was running,” Nordstrom said.

According to freshman Josie Mosby she is motivated by the seeing the older girls race.

“A lot of the faster girls in the state (motivate me). Watching them compete and race in our sections is really inspiring because they’re older than me and have a lot more experience. I hope I can run like them someday,” Mosby said.

Nordstrom said that she ran a great race and should be proud of how the race went.

“For her to drop 40 seconds off her PR (personal record) is incredible and to place sixth overall in the toughest section really shows her talent and that she belongs with the best in the state,” Nordstrom said.

Mosby said that before every meet she follows a specific routine and plans to also do this for State.

“I’m kind of superstitious so to warm up before a meet. I have a certain playlist that I listen to and certain stretches that I do. It gets me in the mood to race.”

According to Nordstrom, all of the runners beat some kind of record. Mosby said the team’s success resulted from the hard work ethic during the offseason.

“I’m really proud of my team because they all worked really hard and put in a lot of work over the summer,” Mosby said.

“To have all my girls have a lifetime best or season — best time — that’s what it’s all about.” Nordstrom said.

Mosby said that her goal of the season was to make it to State again and accomplishing that was a great feeling.

“It feels really good (to be going to State again) because I worked the whole season for this, and this was my goal going into the season, so to accomplish that feels really good,” Mosby said.

Talia Lissauer, Writer

Hey everyone my name is Talia Lissauer, I’m a sophmore and this is my first year on Echo. I play soccer all year long and in the winter I downhill ski with my family. When I'm not at school I'm either traveling or making a mess in the kitchen.

Tamar Gewirtz, Writer

Hey, Tamar here! One of my favorite things to do is to travel, especially out of the country, mainly because I love trying new foods and seeing new places....