Meet the Athlete: William Pinney

Meet the Athlete: William Pinney

Boys' hockey captain Junior William Pinney skates onto the ice at the beginning of the boys' hockey Senior night.

Abby Prestholdt

Abby Prestholdt

Abby Prestholdt

Noah Orloff

How long have you been playing hockey?

I am not sure of the year but since second grade.

Why did you decide to start playing hockey?

Growing up my dad set me up for all sorts of sports, and I didn’t really like it. I wasn’t really a sports guy growing up. Hockey kind of clicked from there. I absolutely loved hockey from the start.

What position do you play, and have you played any other position besides that main position?

Currently, I play goalie and I played skater, so I was forward all the way until mid-way through third grade. But I only played skater for like a year. So, I’ve been goalie since like third grade.

Why did you decide to play goalie over some other positions?

I just like goalie, and I am able to be in control of the game and the outcome of the game depends on me in a way. I just like that — being in control — and plus it is super fun to face shots in the end.

How has your season been going so far?

I think pretty good. I do love the guys on the team. I feel like a brotherhood. We don’t get the outcomes that we really want some games, but it’s been going fine.

What do you like best about playing hockey?

It’s really fun, and also you’re able to develop a lot of friendships along the way through hockey. Also, you can play hockey year-round, so I like it a lot.

What are your future goals for hockey?

Like a lot of hockey players, my goal is to play in the National Hockey League (NHL) one day, but it is a really hard move, but I think I can do it.

With hockey specifically, do you have any role models that you look up to?

Henrik Lundqvist, he’s a goalie in the NHL. He has a lot of foundations that help people, and he’s really involved with his fan base and in the community. I look up to him in a way.

What is your favorite hockey memory so far this season?

I think the game where we beat Chanhassen. I think it was a lot of fun and I think our guys definitely played together as a team and I think that was the best moment of the season so far.

What is an element of your game that you plan to improve on going forward?

I really want to get better at active hands and reacting to the puck more, which will help me further in my game.

Do you have any specific plans for next season regarding hockey like what team you’ll play for?

I have been talking to the Sioux Falls Stampede in the USHL. Hopefully, I want to go play before the high school season and after the high school season.

Noah Orloff, Copy Editor

My name is Noah and I am a sophomore copy editor. Writing is something that I love to do, but I  also can be seen walking my neighbor’s dog. He is a...