Winter workout woes

Staying active in the winter, choose your own adventure
Hanna+Wilsey
Hanna Wilsey

When the leaves start to change and the sun sets before dinner, it’s safe to say that winter is coming. With the harsh winds nipping at your face, it’s time to find alternative ways to stay active for the next couple of months. Whether you prefer the adrenaline rush that warms you up outside, or the constant temperatures of an indoor facility, there are plenty of ways to get your blood pumping. Which do you prefer? If the cold weather is just not your cup of tea, proceed to section one. If you’ve been counting the days until you can activate the snow gear, proceed to section two. 

[1]: In this day and age, the cold weather is no longer an excuse to not be active. Everywhere you look there is something to do, the most obvious being the gym, of course. With well over a dozen in St. Louis Park alone, there is a suitable option for every criterion you could have. However, a gym does require money, making it not accessible for everyone. If you’re looking to stay active without spending any money, proceed to section three. 

[2]: Finally, after the long, hot summer, the snow is finally here. Head to the closet and prepare to bundle up, it’s time to break out the snow gear. The simplest form of winter movement is hiking or walking. With no special equipment required, you can do this basically everywhere. However, if high speeds and competitive nature are more up your alley, proceed to section four.

[3]: Walking, as silly as it may seem, may be the easiest form of exercise. Even when it’s cold, you can take a trip to your local shopping mall and spend an hour or two just walking around inside. If the idea of going to the mall to walk sounds strange to you, window shop! In such a large space, no one would think anything of it. However, this is not for everyone, if you are put off by the idea of pacing through a mall, proceed to section five.

[4]: If you are anything like me, you have been counting the days until ski and snowboard season. Whether you prefer nordic or alpine skiing, there is a discipline for everyone to enjoy. As Minnesotans, there are numerous places to ski throughout the state that vary in price and difficulty. Even if you don’t own any equipment or have no experience, there are places such as Theodore Wirth, that make cross country skiing accessible for everyone. Additionally, places like Hyland Hills and Afton Alps offer equipment rentals that give people the opportunity to try skiing or snowboarding just for the day. Proceed to section six.

[5]: Not everyone is thrilled by the idea of going somewhere to walk, which is understandable. If you’d rather stay in the comfort of your own home, there are plenty of ways to stay in shape. If you look around your house, you can find everyday objects that can be utilized as weights and makeshift gym equipment. A dining room chair can be used for tricep dips, as well as lifted push ups. A gallon of milk can become a dumbbell and be used in many simple workouts — such as bent over rows. If your school backpack weighs as much as mine does, you can use it for squats or even just resistance training on the staircase. Lastly, YouTube can be a great resource for at home workout videos of any kind. If you can think of it, chances are YouTube has it. Proceed to section six.

[6]: No matter what method of exercise you prefer, there is something for everyone. Staying active in the winter does not mean you need to spend a lot of money, or even brave the cold. You just read about a few alternative options, but there are so many more ways to move and make the winter feel a little shorter.