Finding the perfect fit

Comparing high school sports and club sports

A lot of athletes play both high school sports and club sports. I play both club softball and high school softball. On the surface they are the same thing, but when one digs a little deeper into the meaning of both, they have many differences. I love playing both, and I think they offer completely different things as well as present different values. 

In my experience, high school sports are open to anyone that would like to play and have fun. High school sports can still have that competitive aspect depending where one looks. I feel as though people’s experience with high school sports varies. There can be drama regarding playing time and how beneficial they think the coach really is. With high school sports it always seems to be that someone is complaining about something and not everyone is satisfied with their experience. I have lots of fun playing high school sports. I play with all my school friends. Although I do really enjoy my time playing high school sports, sometimes it can be frustrating with the competition level considering everyone is playing for different reasons–whether it’s for fun, to compete or both. 

On the other hand, my experience in club softball has been phenomenal. The competition level is through the roof. I am able to have lots of fun, compete, travel and be exposed to amazing talent all at the same time. Club is not for everyone, that is for sure. Club coaches expect more out of the players and will hold them to a higher standard than any high school coach I’ve ever had. Although it does take some getting used to, I am extremely happy with the standard of excellence I have been held to by my club coaches and club teammates. 

The idea of club sports was made and is advertised for those types of players who want to compete at the next level and not just play to have fun. Club sports push the players to be the athlete that was once unattainable. They provide winter training and year round tournaments that a team can enter to be in, to obtain extra exposure. One of the biggest pros of club sports is the help, one can reserve to benefit their recruiting needs. A coach can help an athlete send out emails and coaches might even come watch a player compete. The difference with high school sports is that players don’t get that sort of competition level as the other players in clubs. People who only participate in high school sports are just there to have fun for the most part. High school sports are open to anyone that is in the school district, therefore the range of skill is normally not as good as one would see in a club sport considering they have people from all over trying out for one team.

Overall, the idea of high school sports and club sports are advertised to people who are looking for different things. Playing either of them does not determine the skill level of a player or their love for the game, but instead gives them that additional exposure to a sport.