Softball coach hired because of experience, passion

Team looks forward to eventful season

Sophomore Megan Perkins practices on the pitching machine during a captains practice.

Josh Halper

Josh Halper

Sari Hattis

With the resignation of former softball coach Al Wachutka in November, the search for a new girls’ softball coach finally comes to an end, according to athletic director Andy Ewald.

Bobby Crumpton interviewed with senior Mackenzie Evenson and Ewald Feb. 10 and received an offer for the position Feb. 12.

Crumpton said his experience includes coaching former Olympic players, fast-pitch hall-of-famers and youth fast-pitch for the past seven years. He said he currently owns the largest softball club in Minnesota called Minnesota Irish Softball.

”I think it is going to be great fun,” Crumpton said. “High school is something I have not done before and I am really looking forward to it.”

Evenson said the varsity team seems excited for new coach.

“I think he will be a good addition to the softball team because he is really intense already and he is known as one of the best coaches in Minnesota,” Evenson said. “He was recommended by a lot of other coaches.”

Ewald said Crumpton has almost 20 years of experience coaching softball in different age groups, making him a great candidate.

“He is passionate about not only working at the high school, but improving softball in the greater community of St. Louis Park,” Ewald said.

Freshman varsity player Maddy McIntosh said she believes the hiring of a new coach could benefit the team in some ways.

“People will not just assume ‘oh, I was on varsity last year, so I will make varsity again,’” McIntosh said. “The new coach does not know anyone and that can provide new opportunities for people. It will be good to have a new set of eyes.”

McIntosh said the team began captains’ practice at the beginning of January, and she looks forward to the upcoming season.

“I am excited because I think we have a really good group of girls on the team this year and it will be fun,” McIntosh said.

Crumpton said he met Evenson and a handful of other players on the team and looks forward to working with them.

“I am extremely excited to be coming to SLP,” Crumpton said. “I think it is a wonderful community. I love the conference that they are in and I think it is going to be an exciting and fun challenge to get them back to the top of the conference.”

To join the team, contact seniors Mackenzie Evenson or Shea Swanson or attend captains’ practices at the old gym on Thursdays at 7 p.m.