Softball’s first game of the year canceled

Senior Meghan Perkins participates in a drill during softball tryouts on March 16. Due to weather, varsity softball's first game, schedules for April 10, was canceled.

Abby Intveld

Abby Intveld

Abby Intveld

Abby Intveld

In the face of snow and weather issues, softball varsity coach Trent Seaman said he got a message April 3 that the first game of the season was canceled.

“There was no notice of when (the game) would be changed to, it just said it would be postponed. I would say we’re not playing for a while,” Seaman said.

According to athletic director Andy Ewald, Bloomington’s athletic department canceled the game against Park April 10 due to snow on the fields, and said softball will most likely have to wait two weeks before they get out on the field.

“The problem with baseball and softball is that not only does the snow have to melt, but the ground then has to dry up,” Ewald said. “With those sports we also use city fields because we don’t have any on campus so we have to wait until the city gives us permission to get out on them.”

Senior varsity softball captain Megan Perkins said the weather has also impacted the extent to which the team can practice.

“Especially for outfielders, we’re not able to be outside so we can’t play with the sun in our eyes or catch balls with that distance in the air which is hard. We also can’t work on sliding and any type of situation because we don’t have the field and the bases,” Perkins said. “Having to practice inside really impacts the strategy of the game.”

According to Ewald, all spring sports, except for synchronized swimming, are having a difficult time due to the weather.

“The (softball) team is trying to practice an outdoor sport inside and it’s really hard on the athletes and is not great on the facilities either. They’re just trying to make the best of the situation and hope that the fields dry up soon,” Ewald said.

Perkins said whenever the first game is, it will be a good way to see what the team needs to improve for the rest of the season.  

“I hope to come out ready to go in the first game motivated and try to see where we’re at in the season and how far we’ve come since winter workouts,” Perkins said.

Despite the delay, Seaman said he looks forward to the first game and has high hopes for how the season will go.

“We’re expecting big things. We’re expecting this team to go a long way, by far have the best year St. Louis Park has ever had. It could end up being in a state championship, so that’s what we’re hoping for,” Seaman said.

Abby Intveld, Managing Editor

Hey folks!!! I’m Abby Intveld and I’m a senior and a managing editor for the Echo. My best friend is my golden retriever Beau and we love going for...