Track Sections postponed

Many events moved to Thursday

Track Sections postponed

Freshman Maxwell Gohman runs the last leg of the 4X800 at a home track meet April 26. Boys track resumes its Section meet today at 2:30 p.m.

Malaika Bigirindavyi

Malaika Bigirindavyi

Malaika Bigirindavyi

Alec Pittman and Jacob Stillman

According to varsity boys’ track coach Rich Keith, inclement weather led to the postponement of many track and field events, which could impact performance for those competing.

“We basically got through half of the field events in a sense and we got through half of the prelims yesterday,” Keith said. “It affects the recovery time for kids who are multi-event athletes.”

Junior David Benjamin, who participates in the triple jump and long jump, said he was frustrated when he found out about the postponement. However, he said it does not change his preparation for Thursday.

“My first reaction was it kind of sucked honestly because everybody was trained and ready for the week,” Benjamin said. “(But), it was supposed to happen tomorrow as well so…nothing is really changed in general.”

Keith also noted that regardless of the delay, as a strategy due to the height of competition in Sections, he will have athletes compete in less events than usual to allow them to concentrate their focus and have more success in those events.

“Typically a multi-event athlete might be a kid in anything from two to four events. In order to get to the State meet it’s pretty tough, so I will pull kids from those four events and put them in the two they have the best opportunity in, so the workload is far less than what they are accustomed to,” Keith said.

Keith said the schedule will differ from the usual Section meet in that the meet will be reseeded to adjust to just one day of competition rather than two.

“There will be no preliminaries, just one heat final. They are reseeding the entire meet,” Keith said. “They will assure the top eight are in the first heat, the fastest heat, but there won’t be a (preliminary race), it will just be one race.”

Sections will resume at 2:30 p.m. today at Orono High School.

Alec Pittman, Managing Editor

Hi, my name is Alec Pittman, but most people call me Pitt. I am one of the managing editors here on Echo. I enjoy writing columns about my current and...

Jacob Stillman, Sports Editor

Hello everyone, my name is Jacob, your co-sports editor. People often confuse me with Shaquille O’Neal and Michael Jordan because of our shared dunking...