Boys’ tennis defeated by first seed Blake

Team prepares for individuals tournaments

Junior+Gerald+Perlman+hits+a+serve+against+Chanhassen+Apr.+24.+Perlman+competed+in+the+individuals+tournament+May+24+at+Baseline+Tennis+Center.+

Junior Gerald Perlman hits a serve against Chanhassen Apr. 24. Perlman competed in the individuals tournament May 24 at Baseline Tennis Center.

After clinching a 4-3 home win against Apple Valley May 16, the boys’ tennis team was swept 0-7 against number one seed in the Section Blake.

Britenbucher said while the season went well, the most important issue is recruiting players for the future.

“It’s hard to be disappointed about how things went. The biggest thing is numbers, we need numbers,” Britenbucher said. “We had nine guys on JV this year when they were full. Ideally I’d like to get 12 on JV, 12-13 on varsity and get the numbers back up to the mid-20s.”

Senior captain Adam Johnson said the team enjoyed turning the tables on Apple Valley after losing to them in Sections the previous year.

“Last year we played Apple Valley away and lost by a close score, so it was great this year to reverse that and take the win in a dramatic fashion this year,” Johnson said.

Senior Collin Perkins said the close match made for an exhilarating victory. He said when the match score was tied at 3-3, the outcome of the season came down to the final set in his match.

“(The Apple Valley match) went great honestly. It was really tight, but Sam Birnberg and I won the winning game to get to move on, so that was really exciting,” Perkins said.

According to Perkins, the team anticipated the loss against Blake. Perkins said for him, all his preparation and practice culminated in this final match.

“Apple Valley was a highlight — it was a really big moment for the team. It was so close. Our season was about to be over but then we got to move on, we really got through the struggle and bonded as a team over that match,” Perkins said. “(It was) probably one of the best tennis moments I’ve had over my high school career. We were totally expecting (the later loss against Blake), we tried our best and had a little fun with it too since it’s many senior players’ last match.”

According to Britenbucher, two singles players and two doubles teams will play in the upcoming individual tournament May 24.

“Now you get the individual stuff. Adam Johnson and Haim Lyubeznik will play singles at one and two, Rayth Coven and Sam Wolden will play one doubles, and Joseph Tirado and Gerald Perelman will play the other doubles,” Britenbucher said. “It’s single elimination, they crown a singles champion for the state.”

Johnson said he urges any new players with an interest in joining the team next year to give it a shot.

“I would really encourage anyone to come out for the team, this year were losing nine seniors, so come see what the team is about and give it a chance,” Johnson said.

Eli Curran-Moore, Business Editor/Manager

Hey everyone, my name is Eli Curran-Moore, I'm a senior, Staff Writer and Business Manager for Echo this year.

Jon Hassler’s Jemmy >>Nabokov...

Tenzin Gyaldatsang, Writer

Hi my name is Tenzin but you can call me Tennam. I'm a junior this year and am excited to see how the Vikings are going to do, Super bowl prediction anyone?...