Girls’ ultimate prepares for outdoor season

Team holds indoor preseason practices

Senior Anna Kasper reaches for the frisbee at the first girls' ultimate practice Jan. 16 at the St. Louis Park Middle School.

Carissa Prestholdt

Carissa Prestholdt

Carissa Prestholdt

Sophie Olmen

According to junior Amelia Ryan, the first two girls’ ultimate preseason practices have gone well for the team and she sees the hard work the players are putting in early in the season.

“We’ve had two practices and they’ve gone great. Quite a few new players have come already and they’ve gotten a lot better really fast,” Ryan said. “It is good to see people passionate about getting better so soon.”

Coach Kevin Ruda said the team had its first practice Jan. 16 and will practice every week until the outdoor season starts.

“We started our indoor season on Wednesday, Jan. 16. We practice every Wednesday until we get outside basically, and some Saturdays here and there,” Ruda said.

Sophomore Amara Foner said the players will work on learning playing styles and gain more experience playing together.

“Practicing with each other,” Foner said. “As long as we pass and play with each other we can learn each other’s movements more and understand each other on the field.”

According to Ruda, there were many new players that attended the first two practices and the team is ready to get the season started.

“We’ve had a lot of new players who have picked up the game really quick and a lot of returning players who are really excited to get the season started again,” Ruda said.

Ryan said to prepare for its first game, the team will work on its skills and gain more confidence at practice.

“Our plans moving forward are to get players comfortable and confident with the disc,” Ryan said. “The first game is going to be here sooner than people think so coming to practice is really important to build skills and confidence.”

Ruda said the team’s plan is to keep playing the game and having a good time doing it.

“(Our goal is) to just grow an awesome team, have fun and learn ultimate,” Ruda said.

Sophie Olmen, Sports Editor

Hi my name is Sophie Olmen and I am the sports editor for the Echo. Fun fact I have two middle names and I am also a senior this year. I play tennis, basketball...