Baseball wins three consecutive games

Team hopes to continue winning streak

Senior+Matt+Lindenberg+pitches+against+Edina+High+School+April+19.+Park+beat+Edina+9-8%2C+giving+Park+a+record+of+4-1.+

Baseball wins three consecutive games

Senior Matt Lindenberg pitches against Edina High School April 19. Park beat Edina 9-8, giving Park a record of 4-1.

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

Talia Lissauer and Maddie Schutte

After seeing teammates continuously supporting each other, whether they made an error or had a good play, coach Brian Kelly said the supportive environment has led the team to its three-game winning streak.

“I’ve looked into the dugout multiple times over the last three games and seen someone with their arm around someone else who might have just made some errors and are just trying to help get their mind back into the game,” Kelly said. “Their love and support for each other have really led the way.”

According to sophomore Sam Hunt, the team was able to improve in areas they’ve previously struggled with in past games, which helped them win against Kennedy, Edina, and Hopkins.

“The game against Kennedy was huge because that’s when our hitting really came around and we carried that momentum through Hopkins and Edina,” Hunt said. “To beat (three teams) back to back was just an incredible feeling.”

Park now has a 4-1 record.

After a rough start to the season with hitting, Kelly said he has seen the team’s hitting improve significantly after making the necessary mental improvements.

“The approach to how to transfer from off-season hitting practice and preparation to in-game hitting where it’s a pitcher trying to get you out has been more of that mental preparation and in-game adjustments,” Kelly said.

Senior Aaron Sledge said he was excited about the win, but was also proud of the overall vibe the team had throughout all three games.

“I was just really happy that we beat Edina and Hopkins,” Sledge said. “There wasn’t a single moment where everyone wasn’t happy and upbeat.”

Hunt said the team was not going to let one loss keep them down, instead, they used it as motivation to improve.

“It was a great feeling, especially coming back from that Richfield loss. We took that as our low point in the season so far,” Hunt said. “We are treating every game like it’s a new day, keeping our momentum up.”

Kelly said he has enjoyed being able to play a variety of ages on the varsity team this year.

“We started four sophomores one day, we had a freshman who had the win against Edina so it’s been fun to see the mixture of ages contributing and see the seniors be accepting,” Kelly said.  

According to Hunt, the bonding of the team had on their spring break trip to Arizona is what made their triple win possible.

“The last couple of years we have gotten our butts kicked by Edina, but this year our team chemistry is way better than it has ever been,” Hunt said. “I honestly think that was a huge reason why we beat them.”

According to Kelly, the trip to Arizona allowed the team to establish a good balance before heading into the season.

“The energy was interesting because it was relaxed and loose but really focused and fun,” Kelly said. “It’s been really fun to see us have (energy) from game one, whether we had won or lost, the team just has that perfect balance.”

If the team can continue on its current path, Hunt said, he believes they could win their next two games.

“We are going to keep our same approach, try to not change anything. We want to keep everything nice and loose. I’m excited, I think we have a great chance of beating (Chaska and Benilde),” Hunt said.

The next Park baseball game will take place against Chaska at 6 p.m. April 23 at Dakota Park.  

Talia Lissauer, Special Projects & Profiles Editor

Hey everyone my name is Talia Lissauer, I’m a sophmore and this is my first year on Echo. I play soccer all year long and in the winter I downhill ski...

Maddie Schutte, Writer

Hi friends! My name is Maddie but most call me the full “Maddie Schutte,” and I’m a writer for Echo this year! I’m a Sophomore and in my spare...