Freshman pitches no-hitter

Team celebrates after strong victory

Freshman pitches no-hitter

Freshman Kristopher Hokenson pitches against Robbinsdale Cooper. Hokenson broke Dakota Park field records for being the first freshman to pitch a 10-0 game. This was Hokenson's first time pitching for the Park varsity team.

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

After pitching a 10-0 shutout game against Robbinsdale Cooper in his first time starting for varsity, freshman Kristofer Hokenson said his teammates made this record-breaking win feel special.

“At first it didn’t really feel like anything, but toward the end it started to feel really special because the teammates excited me,” Hokenson said.

According to coach Brian Kelly, Hokenson lead the team to victory because he guided his team through the game plan.

“We started our freshman pitcher, his third varsity appearance and his first start. We were really proud of how he executed the game plan,” Kelly said.

Senior John Meyer said he thought the win against Robbinsdale Cooper lifted the team’s spirits after previously losing two games.

“I think it was good for our team especially coming off two losses, just to get our bats going again,” Meyer said.

Hokenson said he felt self-assured throughout the game knowing his team had his back.

“I felt confident because I love the guys (on the team), and I knew when (the other team) hits the ball, they could back me up,” Hokenson said.

According to Meyer, the team has the potential to perform well in Sections after beating difficult opponents.

“After beating some of the big teams (this season) it shows that we can beat anybody,” Meyer said.

Hokenson said after seeing the team play well and have one of his own personal best performances, he can see the team ending the season at State.

“I feel really excited for this team,” Hokenson said. “I can see us winning the championship this year.”

Meyer said ending the game with 10 runs while Hokenson was able to shut out Cooper created a great feeling for the team.

“We started off kind of slow and got it going, and then at the end to get the 10 run rule was good,” Meyer said.

Park baseball recently beat Wayzata May 4 with a score of 4-3.

Talia Lissauer, Special Projects & Profiles Editor

Hey everyone my name is Talia Lissauer, I’m a sophmore and this is my first year on Echo. I play soccer all year long and in the winter I downhill ski...

Maddie Schutte, Writer

Hi friends! My name is Maddie but most call me the full “Maddie Schutte,” and I’m a writer for Echo this year! I’m a Sophomore and in my spare...