A new start?

Park baseball takes 5-1 win at home
Brennan Hogan
Senior Alex Hokenson pitches the ball April 24. Park beat Osseo with a final score of 5-1

Park boys baseball beat the Osseo Orioles 5-1 on April 24, getting their second home win of the season after losing their previous game to Benilde St. Margaret’s (BSM).

According to Kelly, the team had an amazing night at bat, and if they keep this up they can win more games to even out their record.

“We knocked them out of the game and then could go steal the win,” Kelly said. “I have high hopes for the rest of the season that we will continue to play and end up stealing a whole bunch of wins.”

According to senior captain Graham Sullivan, he and the team played pretty well in the game.

“I went one for three at bat with a walk into some scores. My team did a good job of capitalizing as runners in scoring position, and getting us to home plate,” Sullivan said.

According to Kelly, the team had a set mindset coming into this game, and even came early to make sure the game plan was perfect.

“We talked about a bunch of stuff. We got here like an hour and 40 minutes early because we made a fair amount of mistakes against BSM yesterday,” Kelly said. “We had some important changes to make, so we came early to practice them.”

Senior captain Alex Hokenson said the team needs to get their intensity up early in the game so they can be motivated throughout the season.

“It took a while to get the energy on the bench and out on the field,” Hokenson said. “If we get the energy going earlier, the games will have a better outcome.”

According to Sullivan, the team plans to keep it very simple the next few games, and they’re just worried about staying ready for whatever comes at them.

“We’re gonna have to see what’s up, but I don’t think we’ll change too much,” Sullivan said. “We just wanted to stay on course, and stay disciplined and on the lookout for anything that comes our way.”

Hokenson said the team has started off strong against some great teams, and he thinks this is some good competition to start the season with.

“We faced pretty good starting pitchers and great teams overall,” Hokenson said. “Most of our games have been challenging, but it’s good to get us back in the rhythm of baseball.”

Park’s next home game is against Southwest 4:30 p.m. April 29 at Park.