Senior likely to achieve his 1,000th point in game vs Chaska

Coaches, teammates anticipate historic night

Senior Cire Mayfield dribbles down the court in the Orioles win over Benilde Jan. 30. Mayfield is ten points away from his 1000th career point. Mayfield will look to make history as the Orioles play 7 p.m. Feb. 9 at the high school against Chaska.

Josh Halper

Josh Halper

Alec Pittman and Jacob Stillman

With senior Cire Mayfield ten points away from 1,000 over the course of his high school career, Athletic Director Andy Ewald said he believes Mayfield will reach this prestigious milestone tonight against Chaska.  

“(The 1,000 point) milestone that most likely he will get tomorrow night is an accomplishment, it is an acknowledgement of that hard work and that time and energy,” Ewald said.

Teammate and fellow senior Caleb Mesick said Mayfield has worked hard throughout his entire high school basketball career to achieve the milestone.

“It has been a long time coming, and he’s a great player who deserves to be recognized,” Mesick said.

Although the 1,000 point mark hangs in the balance going into tonight’s game against Chaska, Mayfield said his main focus lies elsewhere.  

“It is exciting I guess, but the main thing for me is just to get the win,” Mayfield said.

Mayfield said the team will have to be strong and rebound well in order to come out on top.

“(We) definitely (need to) keep them off the boards,” Mayfield said. “They are a physical team, so we have to play physical back.”

The Orioles play tonight at 7 p.m. at the high school against Chaska.