Boys’ swimming heads into practice relay meet

New swimmers adjust to season

Sophomore Conner Coleman uses a kick board at swim practice. Coleman and his team are preparing for the  upcoming relay meet Dec. 7.

Sophomore Conner Coleman uses a kick board at swim practice. Coleman and his team are preparing for the upcoming relay meet Dec. 7.

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

Talia Lissauer and Maddie Schutte

Senior captain Max Bechtold said the upcoming relay meet is intended to prepare swimmers for the season and has a variety of different fun events to participate in.
“Basically it’s an introductory meet before all the other meets. All the events are relays, there’s a ton of different ones,” Bechtold said. “There’s all butterfly, there’s a chrisendo where it gets to a different yardage each time. It’s more of a fun meet rather than a serious one.”
Sophomore Ben St. Clair said he believes the times in the upcoming relay meet will help the coaches place swimmers in the correct events and create winning relays.
“The coaches just want to see where everyone is at so they can plan relays and who is swimming each event based on times,” St. Clair said.
Head coach Amanda Forsberg said the meet includes relays just for fun and ones for real practice as well.
“They do some weird events that I don’t like, but when they do an actual event that they can also do later in the season it is helpful,” Forsberg said.
According to St. Clair, the teams they will be competing against at this meet will be their competitors in the upcoming season.
“Everyone else in the conference will be there so you can see what other teams are like,” St Clair said.
Bechtold said he hopes the team can gain a good mentality for future meets and have a fun time before the intensity of the season starts.
“I hope a lot of the new people can get used to the meet mindset if they haven’t already, so we can see where everyone is at and have fun as a team before we get into our dual meet season.”
Forsberg said she hopes to get a better understanding of new swimmers’ abilities and of competing against other teams.
“I want to get some times from the new swimmers that I don’t really know. You get to race against other teams and you get to see the whole conference at once because we are all together,” Forsberg said.
The meet will take place at 6 p.m. on Friday at Pioneer Ridge Middle School.