Gymnastics prepares for changes

Park team has new head coach and practice times

Gymnastics prepares for changes

New gymnastics head coach, Dawn Thielen, talks with sophomore Rachel Stein Nov. 19. Last year Thielen was an assistant coach but got promoted to head coach for this season.

Emily Ziessman

Emily Ziessman

Emily Ziessman

Dahlia Krebs

Getting used to a new coach can be difficult, senior captain Savannah Romero said, but she believes gymnastics’ new coach Dawn Thielen will be a good addition to the team because of her past experience as a gymnastics judge.

“She has a really good background with gymnastics and she is a judge too. She was really qualified for this spot, so she will help us get down the nitpicky things that will help us score higher,” Romero said.

According to Thielen, the team will practice at different times. The first week of practice will be held from 6:30-8:30 p.m., but the rest of the time practices will be 4:30-6:30 p.m.

“We all have different jobs and we want to come and coach, but we can’t do that because of our day jobs, so we made a time change,” Thielen said.

Romero said some girls are concerned with having a new coach, because the schedules are unorganized.

“Some people had preference to our old coach compared to this new coach, so there are difficulties in how they like her. Also, since this is her first year, everything is not super organized right now,” Romero said.

Thielen said having practice later will allow the gymnasts to relax and get some of their homework done.

“It also gives the girls time to rest, eat, get homework done (and) make their academics a big focus before practice, instead of trying to scramble and get it all done after practice,” Thielen said.

The team captains hope to get a room that the girls can stay in from the end of school until practice starts, according to Romero.

“One of the things we are trying to do this year is to get a room after school to have a study hall before practice,” Romero said. “I think that will actually keep the same amount (of girls on the team), if not bring in more, because we are getting that time to do homework before practice. If homework is the issue why people can’t do it, we are getting some of that done before practice starts.”

Even with all the changes, Thielen said she is excited for the upcoming season.

“It is nice to have that break and the fact is it is good to have that actual break from your academics,” Thielen said. “I am just looking forward to a really great season. I think we have got some great girls coming out and we are going to have a lot of fun.”

Dahlia Krebs, Writer

Hi, I’m Dahlia Krebs and I’m a sophomore. I’m a writer on the Echo. I like playing the violin, reading, watching TV and hanging out with friends.