Boys’ swimming to take on Bloomington Kennedy

Team looks to improve mistakes from the first meet

Sophomore Connor Coleman practices the breast stroke Jan. 2. Coleman and his team are preparing for the upcoming Bloomington Kennedy meet Jan. 3.

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

Maddie Schutte and Talia Lissauer

Despite their tough loss against Chaska, assistant coach Branch Johnson said fast times from the team at the start of the season will set the team up for success in their upcoming meet against Bloomington Kennedy and future meets.

“I think we’re seeing a lot of positive results so farso early in the seasonand we are just going to go down the path that we’ve set out,” Johnson said.

Freshman Andre Barajas said he is excited to see the results of the upcoming meet against Kennedy after noticing the effort the team has been putting in at practices.

“I’m looking forward to swimming the medley relay and 200 IM and seeing how our work has paid off,” Barajas said.

Barajas said they are hoping to defeat Kennedy again, as they have in past seasons.

“We beat them(in previous years), so I’m hoping to have that trend continue,” Barajas said.

According to Johnson, leadership from the upperclassmen is inspiring the younger swimmers to improve.

“We have a lot of older talent on the teama lot of leadershipa lot of guys who’ve been around and have a strong work ethic and that trickles down to the younger guys,” Johnson said

According to Johnson, the team has created a special plan at practices by observing their strengths and weaknesses from past meets.

“We just keep doing what we’re doing,” Johnson said. “We have a best fitted prime training planwe gather what works and what doesn’t work from our swim meets.”

Barajas said in order to prepare for Kennedy, the team is increasing the length of their sets and improving on what they have done poorly in previous meets.

“(We are) doing longer sets and working on stuff that we have done badly in previous meets like turns and starting,” Barajas said.  

The meet will take place at 5 p.m. Jan. 3 at the St. Louis Park High School.

Maddie Schutte, Writer

Hi friends! My name is Maddie but most call me the full “Maddie Schutte,” and I’m a writer for Echo this year! I’m a Sophomore and in my spare...

Talia Lissauer, Special Projects & Profiles Editor

Hey everyone my name is Talia Lissauer, I’m a sophmore and this is my first year on Echo. I play soccer all year long and in the winter I downhill ski...