Skiers compete at first meet after break

Nordic looks to shift training schedule

Sophomore Ivy Houts skis into the finish line of the meet Jan. 10 at Theodore Wirth Park. Girls' varsity placed third out of nine teams.

Carissa Prestholdt

Carissa Prestholdt

Carissa Prestholdt

Kaia Myers

According to sophomore Maya Lee, the Nordic team had a successful first meet back after winter break.

“Everyone seems to be doing really well and (our) technique seemed good. Everyone seems pretty happy with how they did,” Lee said. “I feel like I did alright. I wasn’t feeling as good as I usually do during a race, but I feel like I did pretty okay.”

Head coach John Dyste said he was excited to see the skiers show their improved speed and strength after the training over break.

“We did a lot of volume over winter break. We came back and have started doing some speedwork, and they’re responding,” Dyste said.

According to Dyste, the team was expecting icy conditions after a meet was held at the same course a few days ago. Luckily, the conditions had improved.

“On Tuesday, the Lake conference skied here and it was really icy. They had people that were on sleds and crashes … but we didn’t have those conditions today,” Dyste said. “They weren’t ideal. I’m sure the skiers (would think) they weren’t the best conditions, but they were definitely better than they’ve been the last couple of days.”

Lee said the team’s training at the winter trip to Maplelag helped to improve their technique.

“I feel like technique-wise, we’re better because of the winter trip. We were able to focus on getting better there,” Lee said.

According to Dyste, the day ended up being colder than the team was expecting, but the wax on the skis held up.

“I think a lot of people were hoping that it was going to be warmer. I still think that the skis’ (wax) looked good and the skiers looked good,” Dyste said.

Kaia Myers, Features Editor

Hi! My name is Kaia. I’m a junior and this is my first year on Echo. In my free time, I love running, hanging out with friends, making smoothies and...