Girls’ hockey loses by one point to Mahtomedi

Hopkins/Park game ends with final score of 4-5

Sophomore+Erin+Brousseau+guards+the+puck+from+a+defender.+Hopkins%2FPark+plays+its+first+section+game+at+7+p.m+Feb.+7+at+Parade+Ice+Garden.+

Sophomore Erin Brousseau guards the puck from a defender. Hopkins/Park plays its first section game at 7 p.m Feb. 7 at Parade Ice Garden.

Sadie Yarosh

Sadie Yarosh

Sadie Yarosh

Sophie Olmen and Sadie Yarosh

Hopkins/Park loses in a close game by one point against Mahtomedi, according to sophomore Erin Brousseau, the game went well and the team put in all its effort.

“The game went really well, we didn’t have the outcome we wanted but we battled hard and I think at the end of the day everyone gave it their all,” Brousseau said.

According to coach Ryan St. Martin, the team’s offense was going well together and the overall performance was good.

“I think after a couple of days off it was nice to get back in the groove of things that was a little bit tough for the girls to get quite a bit of ice time after those no hockey, non-school days,” St. Martin said. “Overall I liked our performance and I liked our offensive output and the way we found some chemistry with a couple lines.”

According to freshman Kate Kasica, the start of the game was competitive, but the team developed a lack of energy toward the end of the game.

I think it went alright. I think everyone came out really strong, but I think we just got a little tired at the end,” Kasica said.

St. Martin said playing at a different rink within Minnetonka Ice Arena forced the team to create its own power.

“I would say overall this is a different game because we had to kind of generate our own momentum with playing at the Brink and playing at 4 o’clock,” St. Martin said. “We really had to be the ones that brought our effort.”

Brousseau’s hat trick brought an additional intensity and positivity to the players throughout the game.

“(My) hatrick stood out because I think it got the team motivated and helped to keep us in the game,” Brousseau said.

According to Kasica in preparation for the game, the team worked on different offensive variations they used during the game.

“We’ve been working on a new formation and a new offensive zone so it was pretty cool to put that into play today,” Kasica said.

According to gopark.org, the first section game will take place at 7 p.m. Feb. 7 at the Parade Ice Garden.

Sophie Olmen, Sports Editor

Hi my name is Sophie Olmen and I am the sports editor for the Echo. Fun fact I have two middle names and I am also a senior this year. I play tennis, basketball...

Sadie Yarosh, Sports Editor

Why hello there! My name is Sadie and I am a photographer on the Echo! I love taking pictures, hangin with ma friends and watching movies:) I am in love...