Girls’ basketball captain joins 1000 point club

Lindsey Olson achieves uncommon feat

Senior+Lindsey+Olson+gets+ready+to+pass+the+ball+to+one+of+her+teammates.+Olson+reached+a+record+of+1000+points.+

Senior Lindsey Olson gets ready to pass the ball to one of her teammates. Olson reached a record of 1000 points.

Ella Hammerstrand

Ella Hammerstrand

Ella Hammerstrand

Creston Halstead

As senior Lindsey Olson prepared for her game against Rogers, she had hoped to achieve over 1000 points.

“People just kept passing me the ball, thinking ‘She’s so close,’ and ‘We’re just going to get her open shots,’” Olson said.

According to Olson, it is rare to accomplish such numbers.

“A lot of people, especially at this school, haven’t scored 1000 points, so it’s just a really good opportunity for me,” Olson said.

After realizing at the end of the previous season that Olson was in range to reach 1000 points, it was relieving to see her achieve her goal, according to coach Chris Nordstrom.

“This year she has really stepped up and had a good year,” Nordstrom said. “That girl can shoot the lights out.”

According to Nordstrom, it takes consistency and time to accomplish 1000 points.

“We play about 30 games a year so if you average 10 points over three years, that’s about 900,” Nordstrom said. “It’s a significant thing.”

According to Olson, her main strengths are shooting from longer distances which allow her to score more three-pointers.

“I am definitely a shooter,” Olson said. “I shoot on the outside a lot and they just add up more than twos.”

Park’s current record is 14-9 and will play Richfield at 7 p.m. Feb 15 at Park, according to MN Girls’ Basketball Hub.

Creston Halstead, Design Editor

Hullo. I’m Creston, one of three design editors, the worst 1. I like to smell permanent markers, especially the blue ones. I love competing in competitions...

Ella Hammerstrand, photographer

Hi, I’m Ella! I am a sophomore and new to the Echo this year. My position is photographer but I also hope to do some design stuff. Most of my time outside...