Gymnastics prepares for Sections

Team focuses on high scores

Sophomore+Rachel+Stein+begins+her+routine+on+the+beam+Dec.+11+at+their+home+meet+against+Richfield.+The+Park+Gymnastics%27+team+has+begun+strength+training+once+a+week+to+help+them+develop+their+skills+in+preparation+for+future+meets.+

Gymnastics prepares for Sections

Sophomore Rachel Stein begins her routine on the beam Dec. 11 at their home meet against Richfield. The Park Gymnastics' team has begun strength training once a week to help them develop their skills in preparation for future meets.

Abby Prestholdt

Abby Prestholdt

Abby Prestholdt

Tamar Gewirtz and Hayley Westwood

According to sophomore Marissa Boettcher, the entire girls’ gymnastics season leads up to the Sections meet, which will take place Feb. 16.

“Sections is our biggest meet of the season. It is what we train for,” Boettcher said. “(It is important) to be prepared because there are good teams there, and we want to be on our A-game.”

Coach Dawn Thielen said the team is focusing on refining techniques and adding new skills to result in higher scores.

“We are sharpening the routines we have and seeing if we can add any new skills to our routines before we go,” Thielen said.

Sections determines if gymnasts will receive individual placement or if the entire team will make it to State.

“The meet is also a good way to gauge how we can do in the future and where we are at compared to the other schools,” sophomore Rachel Stein said.

According to Thielen, the girls could advance to State depending on the results of this meet.

“Sections (is) our last meet of the season,” Thielen said. “The top team from Sections, and the top five athletes from each event and all-around advance to the State tournament.”

Boettcher said the most important aspect of the meet is not to win the entire tournament, but for the gymnasts to attempt to beat their personal bests.

“We are not necessarily going into it to win it all,” Boettcher said. “We are going in to reach our own personal goals and get personal best scores.”

The meet is set to take place at 11 a.m. Feb. 16 at Minnetonka High School.

Tamar Gewirtz, Writer

Hey, Tamar here! One of my favorite things to do is to travel, especially out of the country, mainly because I love trying new foods and seeing new places....

Hayley Westwood, Social Media Editor

Hey my name is Hayley Westwood and you’re watching Disney Channel. I am the one and only social media editor on Echo. Hobbies include going to the dog...