Girls’ basketball triumphs in final conference game

Park conquers Chaska on senior night

Sophomore Faith Johnson leaps above a defender, looking to score a breakaway layup. Park finished third in the Metro West conference with a record of 9-5.

Ella Hammerstrand

Ella Hammerstrand

Ella Hammerstrand

Nolan Kelly

In Park’s final regular-season game against Chaska, Park not only won, but gave the crowd a particularly enjoyable experience, according to senior Jamelia Addison.

“The game was really good,” Addison said. “If you missed it, you missed a good, entertaining game.”

According to Addison, Park’s win against Chaska Feb 22 was a significant victory for the team, with a final score of 74-60.

“Winning the game has made SLP look really big,” Addison said. “Beating Chaska was a big win, so it looks good for our conference.”

Despite Park’s triumph, the game was extra emotional, according to sophomore Faith Johnson.

“I think our team was really sad to be losing our seniors and our seniors were sad that it was the end of the season,” Johnson said.

The atmosphere at Park was lively and spirited, according to Johnson.

“I think we had a lot of energy,” Johnson said. “Not only because it was senior night but because we just really wanted to beat Chaska.”

The game was bittersweet, according to Johnson, because everyone was aware of the few remaining games, especially for the seniors Jamelia Addison, Lindsey Olson and Sophie Olmen.

“I was sad that our seniors were leaving because they just bring so much to the team,” Johnson said.

With the celebration of the seniors came a profound introspective reflection for many of those about to graduate, according to Addison.

“Being a senior, I realize how fast high school went by,” Addison said. “It’s a good learning process, so just cherish it.”

At the end of regular season play, Park has a 17-9 record with a four-game winning streak finale, according to MN Girls’ Basketball Hub. Park will begin its section tournament run Feb 27 against Bloomington Kennedy, according to Minnesota State High School League.

Nolan Kelly, Writer, Photographer

Hi-ya! My name is Nolan, I am a senior and this is my first year on Echo (and yes, I must be crazy). Also, my picture reaches the same conclusion. Things...