Drawing class encourages artistic growth

Course provides way to improve communication skills

Sophomore Isaak Kimmel works with photo references to create a cubist self-portrait.

Nathaniel Sturzl

When drawing teacher Erin Foley thinks about her drawing classes, she sees an opportunity for students to improve communication skills through drawing.

“Not everybody is going to be an artist, but I think there are opportunities where drawing is a better way of communicating than words, we just don’t always have the practice to draw well,” Foley said.

According to Foley, the class goes through many forms of drawing, and touches on different types of art.

“We’ll work through a lot of different mediums, starting with pencil and pen. We’ll work with marker, charcoal and chalk,” Foley said.  “We’ll do some book binding, which is taking 2D art and putting it together in a book. We’re going to do a little bit of printmaking too, since we don’t offer a printmaking course here.”

Junior drawing student Ciane Smith said she would advise other students to take the drawing course.

“I would tell other students to join to better their drawing and their artistic skills. Also to express their feelings in drawing, and find a new way to express themselves on paper,” Smith said.

Foley said students can have trouble with the class because they haven’t developed their drawing skills earlier in life.

“By the time you get to high school, if you haven’t exercised that muscle and learned some basic tools of how to draw, it’s a lot like learning math as a sophomore or a junior, it’s hard,” Foley said.

Smith said she enjoys the class because she is improving her skills.

“I enjoy my drawing class because it’s learning new experiences on how to draw and how to better my drawing,” Smith said.