Black History Month unknowingly compartmentalizes issue

Holiday result of unrecognition in the classroom

Will Huyck

Dedicating a month to celebrating and acknowledging black history contradicts the purpose behind creating such an event.

America’s story is one of exploiting people of color and then completely ignoring any contributions they have made.

The holiday’s existence unknowingly highlights the issue of history courses largely disregarding black peoples’ role in American history and heritage.

A Southern Poverty Law Center study graded each state on their educational coverage of the civil rights movement. Not only did 20 states receive an F, but five states’ standards didn’t require the movement be taught at all.

Promoting the recognition of black heritage for just one month is nothing more than an attempt to compensate for the shameful lack of black history covered in American curriculums.

Celebrating Black History Month allows both educators and students to consider the many critical contributions of black people for only four weeks and proceed to study white-focused history for the rest of the year, feeling they have combated racism.

Recognizing black history for only one month a year allows this embarrassing and racist habit of ignorance to continue.

Alotting just 28 days to the recognition of the contributions that black people have made to American history is disrespectful.

Educators must develop a history curriculum recognizing black history as being a part of American history on a regular basis rather than just every February.

1 Comment

One Response to “Black History Month unknowingly compartmentalizes issue”

1. Lauren R. on March 2nd, 2017 8:01 pm

Your article’s argument is very convincing. I also found your research very interesting, and it made me side with your opinion.
    Thanks,
    Lauren R.

[Reply]