‘Five Nights at Freddy’s’ thrills audiences

Popular video game has been converted into a movie
Fair+use+from+Universal+Pictures+
Fair use from Universal Pictures

“Five Nights At Freddy’s”, an already wildly popular video game, has been adapted into a movie. The movie was released Oct. 27, and it’s full of suspense, surprise and spookiness — the perfect movie for a fall evening. 

“Five Nights at Freddy’s” follows an unsettled security guard named Mike (Josh Hutcherson) taking a job at an abandoned arcade in order to take care of his little sister Abby (Piper Rubio). Mike is constantly troubled by nightmares about the kidnapping of his younger brother, but he has to take care of his sister to prevent her from going into the care of his aunt. He starts work at abandoned Freddy Fazbear’s arcade, but he soon finds out that there’s more than what meets the eye there: it may not be truly abandoned. 

I was excited for the release of this movie, and I think that it was perfectly cast. Hutcherson, who many were excited to see back on the screen, embraced his role perfectly. The dynamic between Hutcherson and Rubio was very accurate and relatable in many aspects to siblings everywhere. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Elizabeth Lail make an appearance as Vanessa Monroe, and she added a perfect balance to the movie. 

The CGI of the famed animatronics was very smooth and realistic, and it blended together with the real-world footage seamlessly. It sent a chill up my spine to see how lifelike they were able to portray them, while still keeping their eerie mechanical and robotic edge. 

The gore and fight scenes also looked incredibly realistic, heightening their effectiveness. I thought the costume designers also did very well. Each character’s situation was portrayed through their clothing, and it really helped them stand out to the eye. 

Director Emma Tammi did an amazing job holding the audience in suspense and introducing thrilling plot twists. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, and it was very exciting to see the twists and turns that the story took. She struck the perfect balance between horror and action as the movie played out. 

Although I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, I would argue that the plot seemed a little fuzzy at some points. Some of the scene choices were slightly confusing for me in terms of their relevance to the storyline, although the cast’s incredible acting helped make up for it. If you’re looking for a spooky movie to watch this fall, I would definitely recommend “Five Nights at Freddy’s”. 

“Five Nights at Freddy’s:” ★★★★★