Gender Sexuality Alliance discusses new goals

Club meets for first time this year

Nietzsche Deuel and Ndunzi Kunsunga

Sophomore Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) leader Euan Lim walked out of the first meeting feeling confident on how the first meeting of the year on Tuesday Sept. 12 went.

“(I expected the first meeting) to be very chaotic, but it was a nice organized chaos,” Lim said. “We actually did stuff which was nice.”

Lim said they covered the basics and began talking about what the club should do throughout the year.

“We got everyone introduced and talked about what we would be doing and what we would be planning (for) events. We talked about the gender inclusion policy a bit too,” Lim said.

According to club adviser Kyle Sweeney, GSA aspires to be a safe place in the school for students in the LGBTQ+ community.

“The number one goal is to be a place where people can get together and meet. Anyone is welcome to join,” Sweeney said. “We also want to be a place where, if students have a problem in school, we want to make sure a student voice is heard and I can advocate for them.”

GSA plans on making a few changes to their schedule, according to Sweeney.

“I think we are going to meet Thursday mornings now rather than how last year we did Tuesdays,” Sweeney said.

Junior GSA member Chris Audette said the club hopes to start participating in some new activities.

“(When) we talked about the plans for the year, (we talked about) parties and also possibly seeing a movie together or starting a book club,” Audette said.

According to Lim, GSA is interested in starting a LGBTQ+ book club.

“Anikka (Jamison) is kind of like on the edge on the idea that we should have a book club where we could read LGBTQ+ books and discuss them,” Lim said. “I don’t know if we are going to end up doing (the book club), but it seems like a good idea.”

Lim shares his hope of GSA being a welcoming community.

“(One of my goals for the year) is to really grow as a group and we can support each other through the school year if any of us get depressed,” Lim said. “I hope that LGBTQ+ people and people who support that group can feel safe and not embarrassed to come (to our meetings).”

GSA meetings take place at 8 a.m. every Thursday in room B231.