Choir performance of ‘Cinderella’ approaches

Sophomore Mitchell VonEschen rehearses  for the choir musical 'Cinderella'. The musical is a fundraiser for choir and will be preformed on March 2, 3, 4 in the high school auditorium.

Sophomore Mitchell VonEschen rehearses for the choir musical 'Cinderella'. The musical is a fundraiser for choir and will be preformed on March 2, 3, 4 in the high school auditorium.

Caroline Green

Rehearsals highlight new skills, teamwork

While preparing for the winter choir musical, ‘Cinderella,’ senior Thomas Bryant said he foresees an engaging finished product.

“I’m excited to see the whole piece come together and really bring the full effort of the choir into it and show our best work,” Bryant said.

Junior choir member Caroline Garland said she feels excited to see ‘Cinderella’ begin to develop.

“‘Cinderella’ is going pretty well, a little bit slowly right now, but once things start getting together and people start coming to rehearsals, it will be really great,” Garland said.

According to Bryant, making the show come together cohesively involves a lot of teamwork.

“(‘Cinderella’) involves a lot of communication, networking (and) just people really putting in the sweat and making it work,” Bryant said.

Choir director John Myszkowski said he chose this year’s performance to be ‘Cinderella’ based on the fact that they the choir was chosen to perform at the Minnesota Music Educators Association (MMEA) conference.

“(The choir is) doing MMEA, so we got chosen to sing at the convention, so I wanted to choose a show that was vocally simpler,” Myszkowski said.

According to Myszkowski, due to the choir’s devotion, their production value has risen.

“The kids are really committed to the MMEA, which motivates them with less tension,” Myszkowski said. “Instead of shutting down and tuning out, the kids feel like they can handle this. I’m really confident that everything will be great.”

Garland said she feels eager to embrace her first major part in a choir performance.

“My role in ‘Cinderella’ is the queen,” Garland said. “This is my first show having an significant role, so I’m looking forward to the experience of being able to perform.”

According to Myskowski, triple casting allows for rich and diverse interpretations of the performance.

“I triple casted the show, giving more kids a chance to showcase their talents and perspectives,” Myskowski said. “The kids that are in it are very good as well as a lot more diverse, giving us more interpretations of the same story. To get multiple perspectives is really great — being able to see the story in their own interpretations.”

‘Cinderella’ performances are at 7 p.m. March 1-3 and 2 p.m. March 4 in the high school auditorium.

Avia Kaner-Roth, Writer
Hey guys, I’m Avia and I’m a writer on the echo:) I’m a fan of feminism, early 2000’s boy bands and the West Wing. If you need me, you can probably catch me hammocking by Lake Nokomis!!!
Isaac Wert, Entertainment Editor
Hi! I’m Isaac J. Wert, your local entertainment editor. I love music, television, art and pop culture, and especially love reviewing them.