Science Department creates Disney-themed bracket competition

Teachers vote on favorite animated films

Science+teacher+Peter+Dangerfield+tallies+up+votes+on+Disney-themed+brackets+May+2.+
Science teacher Peter Dangerfield tallies up votes on Disney-themed brackets May 2.

Alex Balfour

Discovering numerous March Madness inspired brackets all over the internet, science teacher Peter Dangerfield said he came across an animated Disney movie bracket and felt inspired to bring something similar to Park.

“There’s tons of brackets that go around the internet and I saw on some site that somebody had come up with an animated Disney bracket that I felt was lacking,” Dangerfield said. “I was kicking the idea around with a few friends of trying to come up with some way to rank the Disney movies and come up with the best Disney movie. What we did was we came up with a tournament that become a bracket of animated Disney films.”

Sophomore Sam Sietsema said he has briefly heard the science department talk about the Disney competition.

“I just heard that they were ranking Disney movies,” Sietsema said. “I think it’s fun, it sounds like a fun competition.”

According to Dangerfield, he created a bracket composed of favorite animated Disney movies at the beginning of April. He said he invited the science department to participate in the competition by voting for their favorite films.

“It’s setup much like you would see in an NCAA tournament,” Dangerfield said. “A person votes for which one they think is the better movie and then I compile those votes and the movie that gets the most votes moves on.”

Science teacher Alex Polk said although he disagrees with the advancement of certain films, he has enjoyed participating in the bracket competition.

“It’s amazing, except it sucks because Mulan is not in it anymore. Mulan got booted in the ‘Sweet Sixteen’ which is outrageous,” Polk said. “But otherwise, being able to argue Disney stuff is amazing.”

Polk said he believes the bracket competition has created a new element of fun in the science department.

“We’ve always been pretty close but I think this is an added dimension we didn’t have before,” Polk said. “Dangerfield did a wonderful job of putting that together and put actually a solid amount of time into it.”

According to Dangerfield, he hopes to create new brackets in the future, as well as expand the competition for students to join.

“I’ve already got an idea I have tossed around about a potato bracket and the best way to eat a potato,” Dangerfield said. “I have talked to Mr. Polk and to Mr. Otto to see if there is a way to make this electronic so that we could give it to our students to do. The tough part there is tabulating all of the votes. So if we gave it to our students to do, in some sort of a google form, (we could) get the students involved.”

Sietsema said he would enjoy participating in a future bracket if the science department expanded the competition for students.

“I think it’s a fun idea. It’s fun to judge things,” Sietsma said. “It’s fun to talk about things you like, like Disney movies.”