Student Council reflects on final blood drive of year

School honored in achievements, donors rewarded

Junior Kyle Ballenger gets his blood drawn during the blood drive May 30. Students who donated were able to receive t-shirts and restaurant discounts following donation.

Fahmo Jama

Fahmo Jama

Hadeal Rizeq

After donating blood to his mother when she was in need, senior Brian Asumari said he is committed to doing the same for others by participating in more blood drives.

“My mom needed blood one time, and so she got it (from me),” Asumari said. “If I can help, like if you donate my blood, somebody’s going to get it and help them.”

Park’s final blood drive of the school year took place 8:10 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. May 30 and was hosted by Memorial Blood Centers, according to Student Council adviser Sarah Lindenberg.

Senior Mariama Ali said the students receiving awards from the blood drive is a great example of the community coming together.

“I think that’s great community building engagement,” Ali said. “I like how usually when you donate blood, they give you money, but you’re donating out of your own will.”

Lindenberg said she feels proud that Park is among a rare group of schools that donates blood four times a year.

“It feels like an accomplishment because it was fun to hear from one of the bloodmobile blood technicians that we are one of the few schools that host four drives,” Lindenberg said. “It felt like we were really helping out the community.”

Asumari said despite the achievements of the blood drive, he thinks it doesn’t get as much attention because students fear the process of getting blood drawn.

“I think people are kind of scared to donate their blood,” Asumari said.

Asumari said having conversations about blood drives may ease students’ fears about them.

“Trying it is the only reason (to not be as scared),” Asumari said. “My friend told me about it.”

Lindenberg said the blood drive will continue at Park next year, and she continues to support the cause.

“The reason we like to keep up the tradition and having four is because we know that it’s something that directly impacts the community in a positive way because they will often have shortages during these times,” Lindenberg said.