Political informational posters supplied by NTA

Posters aim to inform student body on voting

Sophomore+Joseph+McIndoo+learns+about+NTA+club+poster+encouraging+students+to+vote.+Several+more+Posters+are+hung+up+around+the+high+school+cafeteria.+
Sophomore Joseph McIndoo learns about NTA club poster encouraging students to vote. Several more Posters are hung up around the high school cafeteria.

Abigail Prestholdt

Abigail Prestholdt

Katie Hardie

The Non-Traditional Academy at Park has released political informational posters over the past week. These posters can be found in the high school cafeteria.

According to Non-Traditional Academy (NTA) adviser Debra Skadden, who led the effort of making posters, the activity was supposed to help seniors who are at voting age who do not know everything about the process.

“It’s a project … and (since) there are seniors here at school that will be able to vote, it’s a way to get them information about the candidates,” she said.

Skadden advised her students to cater their information to what other students at Park would most likely want or need to know.

“I told them to focus specifically on the things that they think their peers will be interested in,” Skadden said.

According to senior NTA student Da’Trell Armstrong, he and his classmates had not been working on them for very long.

“We started making them last week, probably the beginning of the week,” Armstrong said.

Fellow NTA student senior Allyiah Peterson said she and the rest of her classmates included generally the same content.

“[We covered] basic information about the [candidate] and facts people should know about them, and the reason why they should vote, and what party 

they’re in the democratic and republican or each party,” Peterson explained.

Skadden clarified these posters were not biased or meant to create any political gain for a candidate.

“It’s not that kind of poster. It’s objective and informational; not persuasive,” Skadden said.

Armstrong shared how important the making and distribution of these posters were.

“A lot of people are turning 18 and they don’t know anything to do with who they’re voting for,” Armstrong said. “Now that we are able to legally vote, we should probably inform people on what they’re voting for, and who they’re voting for instead of just having them choose any random person.”

According to Peterson, making these posters for the rest of the students of voting age at Park was a good experience for the class and herself.

“[We] wanted to do it. We got to pick our own person we wanted to write information about,” Peterson said.

Check out the new informational posters NTA hung up in the morning on Wednesday, Oct. 3, in the high school cafeteria.

Katie Hardie, Multi-media Editor

Hey there! My name is Katie and I am Echo’s resident multi-media editor. In my free time I love to cook with friends, watch Netflix originals, read YA trash, and shop for semi-valuable items on Amazon Prime. My favorite thing about this paper is all the cool content we put out, so I super recommend you go check out the rest of this site. Thanks for stopping by to learn more about me, you’ve made my day!