Echowan turns the page

Park’s yearbook decides to change advisors
Leo Justesen
Echowans new advisor Ms. Hanson informs students on the changes for this year’s yearbook Oct. 3. Ms. Hanson connects with the students right away to work effectively.

Park’s student-run yearbook committee made a decision at the end of the 2022-23 school year to change advisors for this year and more to come. Echowan members said they have high hopes for what new advisor Kelsey Hanson can bring to the team.

Senior Genevieve Thomas, Echowan’s editor-in-chief, said she is hopeful that Hanson can help Echowan reach their goals for the year.

“She has journalism experience so we can really improve the quality of our book,” Thomas said. “We can improve by incorporating all the staff into the overall making of the book, and we’re really trying to improve on inclusivity this year — so getting everyone that we can into the book.”

Echowan has been a tight-knit community, especially for students that have been in it for multiple years. Hanson said she’s eager to join the already strong team.

“I’m so excited to be working with the major staff. They are a really great group of kids who know so much, and I can truly learn from them,” Hanson said. “They’re really skilled and they’re just awesome. I’m excited to be able to learn with these kids and take that learning into next year.”

Previous Echowan advisor Christoph Nordmark was in charge for two years, and senior member Brady Erlandson said it can be difficult to get used to a new person.

“It’s kind of tricky because our old advisor gave us quite a bit of stability, I’m just hoping we can keep that as is,” Erlandson said.

Hanson said Nordmark has been helping her shift into her new role since before the change had happened.

“Nordmark, who was in the role last year, has been extremely helpful, especially at the end of the year last year,” Hanson said. “When the switch happened he took me out to breakfast, we talked about Echowan and he was so supportive and open and happy to help me understand this role a little bit better. He’s been so essential and amazing about helping this transition be a smooth one.” 

Thomas said Hanson has been great at helping the team adjust to the change.

“She’s made the transition really easy,” Thomas said. “It was a little hard at first because we were all so close with our old advisor, but now I feel our bonds forming with the new advisor and I think it’ll be a good year.”