Starting a new chapter for book club

Advisor Ellen George, meets with and talks to book club members while reading their monthly book.

Club’s attendance increases from years past

According to a recent Oxford University sociological study, students in Park’s Media Center Book Club are more likely to achieve professional advancement as adults.
The study found that 16-year-old teens who read often have a better chance of obtaining professional or managerial positions later in life.
This year, students at Park are headed for success. According to Media Center Specialist Ellen George, attendance in the book club is up to 28 students, as opposed to last year’s eight.
To join the book club a student just has to go to the Media Center and give their contact information to one of the specialists.
Junior Ali Howard said she thinks joining the book club sounds like a good idea.
“It would be a great way to keep up on reading outside of the classroom,” she said.
According to George, being part of the book club is not a huge time commitment.
“Students may be part of the Book Club for whatever books they choose,” she said. “We realize that they have busy lives.”
Sophomore Anton Alvoid said he finds this to be a good policy.
“I would like to be in the book club, but I do not think I could make it to every meeting,” he said. “It’s cool that you can just go when you want.”
George said one of her favorite parts of the book club is learning about the students involved in the group.
“My favorite part of the book club has been getting to know the students themselves,” she said. “Discussing a book with other people who love reading is delightful.”
Besides the social aspect, George said there are many other reasons to join the book club.
“Reading for pleasure is like feeding your brain, as far as I’m concerned. Reading one book offers far more hours of imagination and entertainment than any movie of the same title that I’ve ever seen,” George said.