Classic Halloween party draws in volunteers

Volunteer plays the role of the North Star in halloween party

Park groups join with others to aid local Westwood event

Junior Brandon Dale flew around while talking to kids in a used brown owl costume, one of nearly 150 student volunteers working for almost 600 kids at the 31st annual Westwood Hills Nature Center Halloween Party.
 The party was Oct.19 and 20 and featured volunteers from around the Minneapolis area, all helping to make a night filled with games and music. Students worked at all of the stations including dance spots and the nature walk. Those in the National Honor Society are often found at the event, however many other groups and students contribute.
     Senior Gillian McCuistion said that for her the drive to assist came from a feeling of community and past experiences.   “It gives me a sense of the community and it’s fun to see the kids in their costumes, plus I went here as a kid,” McCuistion said.
     Most of the party volunteers were students and they helped in all aspects of the event by building, staffing, acting, cleaning up and taking down pieces of the celebration. A staff member at Westwood and one of the party coordinators Mark Zembryki  said he enjoyed seeing the student activity. “We cannot run the show without them. (The party) is mostly staffed with high school students and it’s great to see them helping 100’s of kids,” Zembryki said.
     But for veteran volunteer Dale, the reasons to return have stayed the same.  “I usually volunteer because it’s fun and cool, plus I have been doing this since freshman year,” Dale said.