Quidditch seeks new heights

Dylan Scott
Taking Off: Sophomore captain Sam Olson runs through Minikahda Vista Park in St. Louis Park Oct. 7. Olson, the chaser, is attempting to score the ball through the hoops to score for his team.

Team recruits as it begins second year

Sophomore Sam Olson mounts his broom and prepares for take off. A whistle blows, and  the Quidditch battle commences.
Quidditch originates from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. Students try to capture the same idea behind the fictional sport as much as they can without magic.
Last year, about 20 students attended regularly, and it was a strong season according to senior captain Samantha Bremner.
“Quidditch is a great experience because it provides an opportunity for  students who may not be involved in a lot of other athletic activities to be active while celebrating a shared interest,” she said.
This year, only 10 people regularly attend practices. Bremner said she hopes the team will gain more members who are as obsessed with Harry Potter as existing members.
To do so, a Facebook group was made, and signs were put up at school. Students wishing to join simply need to contact a captain or post on the Facebook group, called “SLP Quidditch.”
New member junior Claire Tollefsrud said she is excited to play because she likes the different atmosphere of the team.
“It’s competitive, but it’s also laid back at the same time since it’s not an official sport, which is cool,” Tollefsrud said. “I’m also a huge Harry Potter fan, so I like how it relates to Harry Potter.”
Practices and games take place at 4 p.m. every Sunday and at Minikahda Vista Park in St. Louis Park.
While most high schools do not have Qudditch teams of their own, Bremner and Olson said they agree  they hope the team will become more competitive throughout the season.
“I’m trying to communicate with people at Southwest because rumor is they have a (Quidditch) team,” he said.
Overall, Olson said the team is a great club to participate in.
“We’re super friendly, and we promise to be your friend if you join,”
he said.