Natural Helpers broadens its horizons

Members looks forward to new student aid

Planning activities to help students outside of school is an everyday event in the life of junior Alex Ess, a member of Natural Helpers.

Natural Helpers is an organized group that focuses on peer counseling at Park. Recently the group has been trying to include other forms of aid for students, such as mentoring and peer tutoring. Riehle said he believes that mentoring these days is more important.

“Students are the first line of defense for other students having difficulties,” Riehle said, “If a student really needed to speak with someone, but didn’t feel comfortable with an adult, this is a great program.”

According to Ess, students who wish to speak with a mentor or receive tutoring may look at the board (I’m trying to find the board) or posters that have been put up around the school for more information. Ess’ role in Natural Helpers is to be a planner.

“My role in Natural Helpers is a community member, which means I help Natural Helpers try to find other activities and other ways to help outside of school,” said Ess.

Junior Maia Liss said she believes this to be very helpful to students during this phase of their lives.

“It’s more comfortable having help come from other people your own age because they can have an easier time relating to you,” Liss said.

Members also hope to further develop its St. Louis Park High School Emergency Fund according to Riehle. The fund was established in 2011, and it provides financial support for students and their families when help is needed. Donations of any amount are welcome, and can be dropped off to the counseling office.

Students are chosen for Natural Helpers in freshman year, however there are openings for students who wish to join later. Students interested in joining may contact adviser Jeremy Riehle in the counseling office.

Ess said he believes that the group is beneficial to the school.

“I believe so [it’s beneficial]. If students find a way to use its true potential I think it’s beneficial for life,” Ess said.