Theater program casting new show

Auditions for the winter play end on Tuesday, welcome new talent

As the curtains close on the fall musical, the theater program is already preparing for their winter production.

“Vintage Hitchcock: A Live Radio Play” is a show presented as a radio broadcast in the 1940s. The play adapts three Alfred Hitchcock films, “The Lodger,” “Sabotage” and “The 39 Steps,” with only five actors playing dozens of roles.

Director Jodi Hatzenbeller said she chose the show based on its format as a radio broadcast and genre, both of which she believes the program can learn from.

“It is an obscure show that is a combination of different Hitchcockian plots,” she said. “We are able to explore suspense, which the theater program hasn’t done in a decade.”

Sophomore Noa Raasch said she will audition for the winter show.

“It gives me something to do for the winter season,” Raasch said. “The show itself is interesting too.”
In auditions, Hatzenbeller said she looks for a strong presentation of character and versatility since “Vintage

Hitchcock” requires actors to switch between different characters.

“I look for people with stage presence, vocal characterization and physicality. Pick a monologue that shows your range, commit to the character, and connect with the audience.”

Raasch has been in theater productions since her freshman year. She said preparation is necessary for a good audition.

“If you are joining theater for the first time, be confident and introduce yourself to theater veterans,” Raasch said. “At an audition, the most important part, for the director and your personal sanity, is to be prepared.”

Hatzenbeller said students interested in being involved with theater but do not want to speak onstage can still be in the show.

“We need sound foleys who don’t have speaking roles to create sound effects onstage. For example, foleys use blocks of wood to represent a knock on the door,” she said. “We also need onstage musicians who are characters that don’t necessarily speak.”

Crew members are also in less visible positions, but are still vital to making sure the show is believeable and runs smoothly, according to Hatzenbeller.

“Offstage, students can be on the costume crew who need to find vintage 1940s costumes for characters,” Hatzenbeller said. “Students can also be involved in the set crew or props crew, who need to find 1940s style decor for the stage.”

Whether students are involved as actors, foleys, musicians, or crew, both Raasch and Hatzenbeller agree that students should join the program for the aspects away from the stage.

“The theater community is such a positive part of my life,” Raasch said. “I love seeing each and every one of them because they’re so wonderful.”

Audition materials and crew applications can be found on the theater page of the high school website. They are due to Ms. Hatzenbeller on Tuesday, Nov 27.