Math team prepares for home meet

Student group’s season continues

As it looks toward the State competition, Park’s math team also approaches the only meet it will have at home this season.

According to math team coach Will Tanberg, each school in the Southwest Suburban
Conference of the High School Mathematics League hosts a meet each year. While he said he does not expect the team’s performance to be impacted by competing at the school, he said it will be convenient.

“Our students like to not have to travel to a meet. It is always nice (for them) to know where they are going when they move around the rooms, but in terms of competing it doesn’t really change much,” Tanberg said.

Unlike Tanberg, senior math team member Tamara Covacevich said she thinks it will be beneficial.

“I am definitely looking forward to Monday’s (meet) as it will be a home meet and therefore there is more motivation to prepare the topics that are being evaluated,” Covacevich said. “For the team event everyone will feel more comfortable in the room as it will be a known environment.”

While Tanberg said he does not expect the location to affect the team, he said he expects them to continue following the trends they have set for themselves this year.

“We’re placing right in the middle of the conference pretty consistently. Typically the schools placing ahead of us are the bigger ones, so we are simply outnumbered,” Tanberg said. “I think the next couple years we will be stronger because we have a lot of up and coming students.”

Similarly, Covacevich said she expects the team to continue doing well and looks forward to the challenge of future events.

“I am very excited for Monday’s meet because it is the fourth one and every time the topics get harder. For me that’s better because it involves processes I have fresh in my memory, rather than easy topics you usually study in earlier years,” Covacevich said.

Tanberg said this kind of improvement makes him pleased with this year’s team.

“I’m pretty happy with (the team) considering we’re rebuilding. Individual scores are improving with each meet, so that’s nice,” Tanberg said. “As long as the students are enjoying it, it’s good.”
The next meet will be after school Jan. 14 at the high school.