36 Arts returns to the rhythms

Student run magazine looks to expand spoken event

For those interested in rapping, rhyming, or writing, the 36 Arts Magazine’s next contest is set to show off their work.

The poetry slam plans to bring together the creative side of Park students by showcasing works of written, drawn, or spoken art. It was started last year by 2012 graduates Marlynn Chang and Mirian Lema, who helped host it in a coffee shop. The works went on to feature in 36 Arts Magazine, run by Park students.

The slam consists of students reading their submissions to an audience, including a group of judges who choose the best work. According to one of the managing students Dang Ngyuyen the judging group will consist of staff members.

“We are thinking of getting some english or other teachers to judge,” said Nguyen

This year, 36 Arts members are hoping to grow the slam participants from last year.  Nguyen said she has high hopes for this year.

“ Last year most of the interested people were the seniors who have now graduated. We are hoping to attract people from every grade,” Nguyen said.

For any that are interested in viewing it, the slam will happen at around 3:40 in C350 on Wednesday Jan. 30.