Prep(pi)ng for Pi Day

Junior Mackenzie Bruun-Bryant reserves her piece of pie for $3 at lunch from DECA members Benji Fischman (Right) and Tamara Covacevich.
Alex Rozman

DECA, math department celebrate pi day

Pi Day is the one day during the year where various groups in the school are able to bring out their inner nerd.

To celebrate the occasion, DECA members offered pre-order forms for pies in the lunchroom from March 4 to March 11. They will also sell pies on March 14 (Pi Day) as well. According to senior Benji Fischman it has been successful so far.

“We are raising money for the kids going to nationals in Anaheim, CA,” Fischman said. “We have the most kids in our history are a total of 6 going.”

This year for Pi Day, the math department is continuing its tradition of a scavenger hunt for math classes March 14.

Geometry teacher Chad Austad said this years’ theme is a more modern one.

“The theme is ‘four pics one word’, like the cellphone application,” he said. “Students will have to guess the word on each classroom door from four pictures, and each word includes ‘Pi’ in it.”

Some students enjoy the simpler aspects of Pi Day, such as freshman Jackson Eilers. This is his first year experiencing Pi Day, so he said he envisions an entertaining day.

“I’m looking forward to the building smelling nice,” Eilers said. “I imagine a lot of people are going to be eating pies. Also, people can enjoy math for one day.”

Pies will be available for purchase on Thursday. The cost is $3 a slice or $24 for a whole pie. The flavors include brownie blast, french silk and blueberry.