Activities & Awards

History day contestants advance to state

Eleven History Day projects from Park competed at the state level May 4 at the University of Minnesota.

Sophomore Elliot Schwartz advanced to the state competition. While he did not advance to the national level, he said he and his partner got a lot out of the process.

“I’m disappointed that I didn’t move on,” Schwartz said. “Overall though, History Day was a good experience.”

History teacher Carley Kregness heads the History Day activities at Park, and said this year had the highest participation in History Day for the school.

“Participation is the best part as a teacher,” Kregness said. “I’m proud of our school.”

Four Park projects earned Honorable Mentions, as well as a fourth place finish.

Boys’ lacrosse undefeated at Montana tournament

The boys’ lacrosse team traveled to Billings, Mont., to participate in a club tournament April 10-14.

The only team from Minnesota, Park went undefeated 5-0, including a win over Montana’s reigning State champion, the Hellgate Knights.

Sophomore attacker Matt Harkema said he enjoyed the trip because of the team’s success.

“I felt accomplished beating the Montana state champions,” Harkema said.

Head coach Kevin Reed said he was impressed with his team’s performance.

“It was a big weekend, and a pretty awesome experience,” Reed said.

The two time state champions returned from Montana, and participated in another tournament in Grand Rapids, Minn., where they placed third overall.