‘Great Gatsby’ arrives in style at Prom

Daniel Vlodaver

New theme, location to bring excitement

Flappers, jazz music and the roaring ’20s will be coming to Park May 18.

Student Council announced Prom will be 1920s themed, inspired by “The Great Gatsby.” Sophomore Student Council treasurer Ariella Schwartz said the decision came down to the decorations.

“We were deciding between this and another theme,” said Schwartz.  “We decided that decorations for the other theme would look cheap and that ’20s decorations would look classy.”

Student Council adviser Sarah Lindenberg said she believes  the theme will likely get positive reactions from students.

“The theme is pertinent to juniors, and we kept it partly in mind from the movie coming out,” Lindenberg said.

In past years, Prom has alternated venues between underground caves and a boat.  This year however, Prom will be in the Medina Ballroom.

Lindenberg said the change came from higher attendance in recent years.

“We have such high numbers that there are limited venues,” she said. “We chose a smaller venue with some added perks.”

According to Lindenberg, students have not been able to enjoy Prom on the boat because of weather constrictions.

“In past years, it has been cold on the boat, so most haven’t experienced the outdoor element of Prom,” Lindenberg said. “The Medina Ballroom has a big dance floor for students to get together and have a good time.”

However, some students are not happy with the venue change. Junior Evan McManus said he is disappointed, but will not let the location ruin his night.

“I heard that the boat and caves are a lot better, but I’m still going to have tons of fun,” he said.

According to Lindenberg, prices will be lower than in previous years. Tickets will be sold at lunch this week for $20.