Art Tech teacher receives award

Paulson recognized in STEM field

Head+of+the+art+technology+department+Trevor+Paulson+helps+a+student+in+woodworking+class+Jan.+25.+Paulson+received+the+TIES+2017+Technology+Leadership+and+Exceptional+Teacher+Award.+
Head of the art technology department Trevor Paulson helps a student in woodworking class Jan. 25. Paulson received the TIES 2017 Technology Leadership and Exceptional Teacher Award.

Hanna Schechter

Hanna Schechter

Emma Kempf and Maddie Lund

According to their website, the Park administration gives out an award each year that recognizes teachers in the school who demonstrate exceptional use of technology in the classroom.

Trevor Paulson, the head of the Art Technology Department, said he felt pleasantly surprised to receive the TIES 2017 Technology Leadership and Exceptional Teacher Award.

“I was surprised but excited. I was kind of shocked because the things I typically do on a regular basis is working with technology and integrating it, so it’s kind of second nature in my mind,” Paulson said. “So I was just surprised that someone nominated me on that side of things.”

According to Paulson, the process for the TIES is through nomination.

“I’m not a hundred percent sure on the process. It is some sort of a nomination through our administration, which is part of a TIES organization. They nominate two employees from the district each year,” Paulson said. “I guess this year it was myself and the other teacher that got selected.”

Senior Austin Patterson, a student of Paulson’s woodshop class, said Paulson makes a great teacher because he focuses on pragmatism.

“He’s very practical,” Patterson said. “His classes are very hands on. He’s the kind of teacher who will run you through it once and show you how it’s done.”

Paulson said he was given certificates from both the TIES organization and the school.

“(I received) recognition and two certificates, one from TIES itself, so I went there and was presented the award at the TIES convention that they had in Minneapolis,” Paulson said. “Then I got a certificate from the school,” Paulson said.

According to Patterson, he appreciates Paulson’s dedication to student safety, as well as his interest in technology and construction.

“He’ll help you figure it out. A lot of the time he’ll do it for you if it’s unsafe, and of course I’m pulling from woodshop, because that’s what (class) I have Paulson for primarily,” Patterson said.

Emma Kempf, Photo Editor

Hey I’m Emma Kempf and I’m one of this years photo editors! One time I convinced a friend for a month that I owned the Kemp ice cream company and  just...

Maddie Lund, Features Editor

Hey! My name is Maddie Lund and I am one of the features editors for the Echo! I am a senior this year. You can almost always find me at Spyhouse Coffee...