Sno Daze door decorating contest promotes expression, inclusivity

Athletic office wins competition

The+athletic+office+door+was+decorated+for+the+theme+of+Sno+Daze+week+this+year%2C+the+Olympics%2C+winning+the+award+for+best+overall+decoration.+Titles+were+awarded+by+Student+Council.+Other+titles+included+most+athletic%2C+most+creative%2C+most+informative+and+best+sportsmanship.+++
The athletic office door was decorated for the theme of Sno Daze week this year, the Olympics, winning the award for best overall decoration. Titles were awarded by Student Council. Other titles included most athletic, most creative, most informative and best sportsmanship.

Hadeal Rizeq

When athletic administrative assistant Brittani Schroeder found out the Athletic Office won Student Council’s very first door decorating contest for, she said she was satisfied with her work.

“It was happy and exciting. I’m also glad people enjoyed it because I enjoyed making it,” Schroeder said.

According to Student Council adviser Sarah Lindenberg, the door contest was modeled off of the Math Department’s similar Pi Day activity.

“It is kind if modeled after the Pi day door decorating. I thought it would be kind of fun to decorate the whole school and do for Sno Daze week,” Lindenberg said.

Lindenberg said the Sno Daze dance theme was chosen this year in correlation with the 2018 Winter Olympics.

“It fostered just some people talking about the theme, which appeared next to the event that was taking place, so people can talk about the event and what they saw on the Olympics,” Lindenberg said.

According to senior Annika Vignes, students benefit from seeing the artistic side of staff members.

“I think it’s cool, and then I think it just allows (them) to unleash their creativity,” Vignes said.

Lindenberg said the multiple types of decorated doors foster school spirit.

“The spirit around the school and multiple locations helped to naturally incorporate the theme for the Sno Daze week,” Lindenberg said.

Schroeder said the contest acts as a great opportunity for students to feel more connected to the staff.

“I just hope (students) get an understanding of us as an office,” Schroeder said. “We enjoy the students, we want them to (know we) care about them and to interact with us more.”

Lindenberg said she predicts she will host more door decorating contests in the future.

“Maybe just each year, depending on what the theme is, there could be a door decorating contest related to that particular theme,” Lindenberg said.

The Sno Daze dance is Saturday, Mar. 3 at the High School fieldhouse 9 p.m. to 12 a.m

Hadeal Rizeq, Writer
Hey everyone, I’m back!  I feel really thankful for being a senior this year and moving forward toward what the future holds (although it feels a little bit weird to be at the top of the school dynasty). This is my second year on Echo as a writer, and my goal is to become some...