Community hosts poetry slam at Yum!

Students reflect on speaking about mental awareness

Junior+Lexi+Lee+performs+at+the+Nest+sponsored+event%2C+April+18.+Lee%27s+poem+was+about+the+mental+illness+of+perfectionism.++
Junior Lexi Lee performs at the Nest sponsored event, April 18. Lee's poem was about the mental illness of perfectionism.

Isaac Wahl

Isaac Wahl

Tjessa Arradondo

According to Susan Budig, co-host of the Nest Yum! Poetry slam session, the night of Wednesday April 18th held an inspiring collective of generations coming together to share their personal stories on mental health.

“At first I wasn’t sure about the theme which was mental health, but it was fabulous. I feel that it was a great outlet for people who wanted to talk about it,” Budig said.

Sophomore Ava Tronson said she wanted to speak and was excited to hear the Nest was going to help host the event.

“It was slightly terrifying sharing my heart with all of those people, but everyone was so supportive,” Tronson said.

Budig said seeing the different resources students used to read off their poems inspired older generations.

“I thought it was cool and interesting that the students came up and read off of their phones and then all of us elders are reading from our papers,” Budig said.

According to Tronson, she had been to previous Nest meetings and fundraisers.

“I heard about it through the Nest and I thought it would be a good chance to get over my nerves and share my poetry with others,” Tronson said.

According to sophomore Jaye Townsend, seeing Tronson speak in front of everyone helped her muster the courage to speak herself.

“Being up in front of that group of people including some of my peers while reading a very personal poem was, to be honest, quite terrifying,” Townsend said. “I was shaking through the whole thing.”

Townsend said she enjoyed the poetry slam and thought it was a great way to bring the community together.

“I think that although nerve racking, it was fun to go up and read my own poem, I also enjoyed listening to my friends, peers and other people in the community reading their poems.”

Townsend said the idea of a community event bringing attention to mental awareness was a good idea.
“I think it really brought the residents and students together,” Townsend said. “I think it’s a great way for the Nest to help the students, while doing something fun at the same time.”

The next thursday morning Nest meeting is scheduled for May 11th.