Prom prepares for ‘Golden Days’

Student Council decides on theme, sells tickets

Senior Ben Romain registers for his Golden Days prom ticket. Tickets are being sold in the cafeteria during all three lunches up until Friday May 4.

Fahmo Jama

Fahmo Jama

Hadeal Rizeq

Prom committee planner freshman Michael Boxley-Harmon said planning for prom is a great way to give back to upperclassmen.

“I feel like it’s just a great opportunity because I am helping plan a party for the juniors and the seniors, so they can have a good time going into college or ending the year off properly,” Boxley-Harmon said.

According to prom committee officer sophomore Anna Wert, the theme for prom this year is “Golden Days.”

Wert said the music featured this year will be by radio station 95.3 because senior Joe Holloway will not be able to DJ this year.

“We were going through different options and ideas and some people said that they knew a DJ from a radio station, which was a really good idea, which was going to totally fit for our dance, and so we are excited to see what comes with,” Wert said.

Wert said the decorations will include many gold-themed items.

“I think we’re going to get mason jars, and we’re putting twinkle lights in them that reflect gold onto them,” 

Wert said. ”It’s golden lights, which is our primary colors of the night, and they are going to be on the table by the food.”  Wert said.

According to Student Council adviser Sarah Lindenberg, the Golden Days theme emphasizes the aspects of opportunity and cherishing moments.

“The Golden Days theme came from this idea to have a fancy theme where the decorations can be really pretty,” Lindenberg said. “It’s just sort of this idea of the golden days being spending time together with your fellow high school students.”

Boxley-Harmon said having the opportunity to assist in planning the decorations and music for prom allowed him to understand the effort it takes to plan the event.

“(Planning prom) is a process and I trust the process, and I’m like, ‘yeah, it will help me learn about prom way more,’” Boxley-Harmon said.

Wert said with the progress the prom committee has made so far, especially with every planner being from the younger grades gives her confidence that prom will succeed.

“I really feel like the Student Council is good as a whole, especially as a younger staff, and it gives us sophomores a chance to step up, and I really believe prom is going to be amazing,” Wert said.

Tickets are currently being sold for $30 from Monday April 30 to Fri May 4 during all three lunches. Prom is taking place from 9 p.m. to midnight May 5 at Harriet Island.